Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

221 - 240 of 779 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Personally, I have no experience with that; and since the components are entirely independent (except in the '03 and '04 E-Class and the '04 S-Class, where tele-aid and the cellular PSE are combined in the same unit), I do not know why a different cellular PSE would be called for. In addition, all of the PSEs, from Startac on, handle digital frequencies; they also have analog frequencies, which are no longer used, but the digital portion continues to work just fine.

However, I do know that the dealer-installed digital tele-aid upgrade costs $600 with a 1-year subscription. If the tele-aid upgrade also replaces the cell phone PSE, it would be news to me - but I cannot deny that it is true.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
Just picked up a 06 R350 a couple hours ago for my wife and I think I've seen the answer in this thread but just wanted to make sure.

Half the buttons on my dash and steering wheel are phone related not to mention the mics in the rear view mirror (both types). When I look in the center console it looks like I have no wiring. The top of the lid it's really thick and looks like it has a cable in it but I don't even see a false bottom or any jacks unless I have to take out the screws.

So that being said it looks like I have to use something like the Dension Gateway or similar to get partial integration with the car?

Thanks much!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I suggest you ask your authorized dealer if the car is equipped with the "prewiring" harnesses for handsfree equipment. If so, the OE MB equipment can be added (but it is expensive). You could also ask about an MB iPod kit, if you're interested.

If the prewiring is not present, the Gateway 500 with the BTA 1500 module would provide both music input (via iPod, USB, and RCA jacks) as well as cell capability (GW 500 Firmware 2.15 provides very good cell integration). The system will switch your CD Changer out of the lop while using the GW 500, but you can put it back in with a switch selection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Skylaw for all of the great info in this thread.

Is there anyway I can tell if it has it? Does the fact that there are no jacks in the center console tell me anything?

Is there any way I can just add the wiring myself so I can just use one of the plug in bluetooth options or am I way off base here?

I'm fairly comfortable with wiring in a car as long as I have some basic instructions but this is our first Mercedes and there's no way I'm going to jeopardize the warrantee.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #225 (Edited)
Joe,

The fact that you have no jacks in the center console only tells you that there are no handsfree electronics installed; it doesn't address the prewiring (installation of fiber optics/copper wire harnesses).

Unfortunately I do not have a phone bulletin for an R-Class; all I can advise you to do is to consult (for example) the '05 S-Class bulletin at Phone Bulletins. From that, take out the false floor of your console and see if similar wiring is in place under it - particularly the connectors for the "MHI contact plate" shown in Figure 30. If the connectors are present, you have prewiring.

Alternatively, try to find your electronic equipment bay - this is easy if you have a CD Changer mounted somewhere other than the glove box. The rest of the equipment may be near the CDC. Look for the connectors shown in Figs. 2 & 3. If they are present, you have the necessary prewiring. I'm sorry I don't know more about the R-Class to be able to give better information.

Adding the prewiring yourself is a very difficult job requiring removal of seats and going under carpets to find well-hidden connections (for instance, to the CAN Bus and to power). It can be the most expensive item in a new phone installation when done by a dealer. Plus, in working with fiber optics, you must be careful not to bend it too tightly or to kink it, or you will damage the cable and make it useless.

If you find you do not have prewiring, consider the Gateway 500 with the optional BTA 500 Bluetooth module suggested above. You can read about it at Dension Audio Systems, and also check compatibility and download the installation and owner manuals there. You can read of my S500 installation at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1319829-gateway-500-most-not-ready-prime.html and at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1344772-gateway-500-menus-comand-firmware-2-a.html.

The Gateway 500 temporarily replaces the CD Changer in your fiber optics loop. No additional harnesses are necessary, so it can be installed without adding new harnesses. There is a switch that allows you to select the GW 500, or your CDC (I do not know for sure whether switching the GW 500 out of the loop disables the BTA 1500 Bluetooth module, but would guess that it does). The switch lets you restore your system to original configuration for service or troubleshooting, and its cost is far less than adding an OE phone system, especially if you must start from scratch (no prewiring).

I do not know of the effect on warranty of your COMAND or audio system. My dealer is well aware of my installation (in fact he wants to start selling and installing the GW 500 if he can), but has done warranty work on my car - however I have not needed any work done on systems connected to the fiber optics. The GW 500 has been very reliable, and logical to use; once past the shabby installation instructions, the system is excellent. My iPod even responds to voice commands (because my S500 has voice control), to the same extent my CDC does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Skylaw!

I'm embarrassed to say I guess I got a little ahead of myself and didn't read the manual to figure out how the center console works. Once I opened the right compartment I had the 2 buttons and the false floor with the knock out. I'll open it up this weekend and see what I have, I'll also call the dealer I bought it from.

Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey all,

Some additional compatability info on the handsfree BT subject. I have used the following handsets with the BT puck and they have all worked; fully handsfree, using steering wheel controls and downloaded my phone book:

Motorola V557 (on the list of approved phones)
Samsung i607 Blackjack (Windows Mobil 5)
Blackberry 8300 Curve
Blackberry 8310 Curve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sandringham

Hi there,
I have a 2006 CLS500 and just put in a new MB Cradle for my Nokia phone, this car is already MB Pre-Wired, everything works just fine but when I make a call I can hear great the person on the other end but they can't hear me, I have been thru the mute & volume issues, does anyone have any idea what this is?
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MB installation instructions

I am searching for a MB technical website that has extensive cell installation instructions for virtually every model, including wiring diagrams for the system and the connecting cables. I stumbled onto this large web file a few weeks ago, but unfortunately did not save it, and now can use the information. Any help in directing me to this will be much appreciated. I've reviewed links in this entire forum, assuming that is where I would have found it originally, but no success.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Skylaw, thank you so much for this informative thread. My 07 C230Z did not have any phone system wiring whatsoever so I was faced with having to find something aftermarket for my COMAND system (I have NAV and SAT already). I had the mObridge mObridge USA bluetooth and iPod system mObridge Bluetooth | mObridge USA that I bought from K1 Motorsport installed by DFW Stereo in Grapevine, TX and am generally very pleased with the results. The iPod works really well, just their manual is less than informative, but once I figured it out for myself, it is a great alternative to the 6CD changer (once all my Cd's were scanned into my computer and transferred to an iPod, that is, as it works in place of the 6CD changer!) Many functions can be controlled from the steering wheel as well. The Bluetooth function occasionally has some speaker static feedback when dialing, but once connected works great, the address book shows up on the COMAND system and once more many of the functions can be accessed by the sterring wheel controls. A much safer way to drive! Thanks again for this thread!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I want to convert a StarTac installation that I got with my 2001 S500 to bluetooth so that I can use it with my iPhone. By the way my StarTac came with caller ID in case that's important.

From what I read at the begining in the first few posts it seems like what I need is a "Cradle Eliminator Cable" and a "V60 Bluetooth Puck".

According to the post the cradle eliminator cable appears to be nothing more than a cable with an RJ-45 phone connector on one end (that plugs into the console) and a Motorola V60 connector on the other (that plugs into the V60 puck).

Is this correct and if so can anyone point me to where I can buy this cradle eliminator cable and this V60 puck?

Thanks.

Jeff.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
As stated in the early posts, you should check your PSE to see if it is a "Blue Label" PSE. If so, you do not need to buy another one. If it is not "blue label" as described, you will need the Universal PSE in addition to the cradle eliminator and V60 puck.

The very first post discussed sources of parts.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
It is discussed at post #3 above, the post that deals with the specifics of your situation, just as post #1 deals with parts sources.

In response to your PM, you will also find a link in post #3 to assist you in locating the PSE.

Reading the information already available in the string will help you solve your issues sooner.

The string at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/new-member-introductions/1398151-some-new-guy-help-i-hope.html may help you to get more out of the forum as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Skylaw...After reading about 100+ posts, I realize that you are the man with the most knowledge. I am coming to you for some help. I have a 2003 E320 with no phone system installed. I would like to add Bluetooth capability by installing the Bluetooth Cradle Replacer(puck with tail), Part No. 67875855. According to the the article on wireless4MB.com, my model year car is equipped with the CP211? I understand I will need re-coding but, is there anything else you can think of that I will encounter before spending the $443.00 for the part mentioned and the labor to recode my car?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #236 (Edited)
Firestopper,

There is nothing else you need to do, except use a compatible phone with your system. A CP-211, already contains the portable support electronics for your handsfree system - except for the puck and version coding (and several contributors report that version coding was not even necessary)..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Intermittent operation

I read (scanned) all 24 pages of thread but still have two questions. I have an 04 S55 and put in a bluetooth MB puck and linked to an AT&T Razr. Wokred fine for months. BUT:

I noticed the MB Command display never indicates more than one bar of signal strength even when the phone shows full bars. Is this normal with the puck setup?

More inportantly, on some days when I get a call or try to place one via the command it says call connected but I cannot hear the party. They say they hear me. At the same time my voice command hears me and speaks to me fine? Any insight as to what is happening? I tried relinking today (reset puck and re-enter PIN) but it didn't fix it?:eek:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #238 (Edited)
It's your RAZR, which has a notoriously weak antenna. Any U.S. Bluetooth puck uses the phone's own antenna, and bypasses the car's external antenna (European models do not have this failing).

I used the Bluetooth combo cradle made specifically for the RAZR in my car for a time (my car has an MHI system; the combo cradle is available only for MHI systems). It has a built-in RF coupler that connects the phone to the car's external antenna, with much better results that were immediately visible on the COMAND display and also in terms of audible voice quality. It also charges the phone. Although I was addressing an issue of voice quality, you can get a great deal more discussion on this point at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1302867-voice-quality-mb-bluetooth-review-razr-post2222126.html

For less money than the RAZR Bluetooth combo cradle, you could purchase a SmoothTalker cradle that will allow charging of the phone as well as a direct connection to your car's external antenna. You can use it with MHI systems and older systems as well. www.smoothtalker.com See https://www.smoothtalker.com/products/cell-phone-charging-holders-and-cradles/ and choose the specific type of V3 you have - and be sure to buy a cradle that has the antenna connection (some don't). You can remove the cigarette lighter plug-in, and hard wire the cradle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Clarification on smoothtalker cradle

Skylaw, thanks for the rapid response. Just to make sure I got it right, I use the appropriate Smoothtalker crable with antenna holup AND the MB puck, correct?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #240 (Edited)
Yes. The SmoothTalker 1) holds the phone, 2) charges it, and 3) connects to the car's external antenna via the connector inside the center armrest. Your '04 S55 has a FAKRA style antenna connector, so you might want to discuss that with SmoothTalker when you order.

The SmoothTalker has no Bluetooth function of its own, so you use it with the MB Bluetooth puck.

221 - 240 of 779 Posts
About this Discussion
778 Replies
270 Participants
Skylaw
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing