Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
benz rider said:
I wouldn't use vinegar if I were you. it will fade your trim and paint.
Yep. That's why I said 'Realize that vinegar is acidic and may damage other things it touches. I've used it on painted surfaces, but with much care.' :D

Hard water stains are brutal and usually take something pretty strong to get rid of them. I typically polish them out, but on a grill, that may not be possible or practical.

If the suggested cleaners don't work (certainly try the most benign solution first), step up to the vinegar and water solution and just be really careful with it. Although I didn't get specific, my thoughts were to apply it topically.

Depending on how tight your grill pattern is, you might be able to dip a towel in the solution and get your finger in there and rub them out. Wear a rubber glove.

Rinse the area throughly and then wash the entire area with soap and water.

EDIT: I'd still go with my initial suggestion first (chrome polish). :)

·
Banned
150 Posts
Tri-Star said:
I just use detailing spray wax on my grill and chrome trim. i find using chrome polish could be messy and get in cracks whereas the detailing spray i just whip right off with no residue.
Detailing spray/detailing spray wax takes off hard water stains?

Oops...maybe I assumed the worst kind of water stains when I read the initial post. I was not thinking of mild spots where one didn't totally their dry vehicle after a wash. I was thinking more of what a sprinkler does when it showers your vehicle and you don't notice it until it's dry. We're talking caked-on mineral deposits.

If it's the light ones, then yes, I could see detailing spray or spray wax doing the job. I actually use the spray wax I sell to get the water spots that are left behind when water drips from my mirrors, grill etc., the first time I drive my vehicle after it's been washed. No residue.

If it's the tough kind, I don't see spray wax or a quick detailer doing the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.