Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'94 E320 Coupe W124 (RIP) - '75 280S W116 - '11 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-Spd (DD)
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Question.

I was always aware that you can request the full, documented service history of any Mercedes, as long as it was serviced at an authorized dealer.

How do I actually do this?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,754 Posts
Go to the dealer that has serviced your car in the past. Bring proof of ownership (and a box of donuts) and you'll get your service history.

Chief

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I was able to get one from a couple of dealers. The one I bought the car from printed out the VMI for me. Then I went to the dealer who sold the car new and had done all of the A and B services (service booklet was fully filled out), warranty work, and owner-paid things. They gave me a print-out of all that, so I think I have the "complete book" on my car. While you're at it, ask someone for the CarFax report too.

I might have been lucky since I bought a one-owner, within a small state, where there are only 3 dealers. In any event, good luck in your search!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
chinny4290 said:
Hey guys. Question.

I was always aware that you can request the full, documented service history of any Mercedes, as long as it was serviced at an authorized dealer.

How do I actually do this?

Thanks guys.
Most Mercedes dealers are pretty touchy about that, and they cite "privacy" concerns of the previous owner when they deny a request like that.

Some dealers also purge the records (copies of the actual repair work) after a few years, especially when no work orders for that car come in for a long time.

Midwest dealers generally are more relaxed about it. I have had some luck, especially if making the request in writing, to slip in a $20 bill for "Copying expenses and postage" when used with Ford, and Volvo places.

Even the VMI is proprietary, and they don't have to release that, but most dealers are a bit more relaxed about those, as there is no actual information about the PO's full name and address or phone number.

If you can talk to the former owner himself, usually you have hit gold. Most, in my experience, are very willing to speak to you, especially if you contacted them by mail, and slipped in some money with your phone no. and request.

It very satisfying to know of the prior repair and maintenance history of your car.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Not arguing with you cascade, but we have hashed out this privacy issue before. I think when a dealer employee uses that excuse, they are really saying "I am too damn lazy to do that for you", or "What have you done for me lately?"

As you pointed out, there is no personal information about any previous owners on the VMI, period. Plus, there was nothing in those other printouts given to me that had any clues as to the identity of the original owner. Privacy? - horse hockey!

Concerning speaking with the previous owner, one of the MB dealer's used car manager willingly gave me the former owner's name and phone number when I was considering buying their old car. Go figure!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
chinny4290 said:
Aware of it or not it's a completely false assumption. It is very rare that a dealer will deny you a VMI, but a VMI is not a service history but a warranty and goodwill history. The vast majority of dealers will not provide a service history to subsequent owners, and rightly so, it's private property.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.