Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 and a 1997 sl500. Both have trunk mounted cd players. I want to be able to play mp3 player in the cars, but do not want to remove the factory radio. Thoughts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am fighting the same "war" with my '07 SLK 280 with audio 20, Sirius, and glove box CD changer. I am left with no input for a "hardwire." I have an iPod, not an MP3, but there might be similarities.

FM transmitter devices have a bit of a bad name, and I have an older one that is truly sorry! It is of the type that inputs into the bottom USB on the iPod, and charges as well as plays using the same 12V cord. It's problem is that the gain (volume) coming out of the USB on the iPod is too low, and does not respond to the iPod's volume control. This means the radio has to be turned up to pick up the low gain (volume) signal, which turns up the background noise in the process.

Because suggestions I have received from my dealer, the boards, and car stereo shops have been so costly and evasive, I looked for (and found) an FM receiver that hooks to the iPod via the headphone jack. The iPod's gain (volume) can then be turned up to the radio so that the radio needn't be turned up more than for FM and CD.I bought this device as a temporary thing, until I could find a cost-effective, non-evasive hardwire system. Of course, this device requires a separate 12V charger, or just keeping the iPod charged.

To my great surprise, the "Monster" FM transmitter device I bought for $60 at Radio Shack actually delivers FM quality sound! Audiophiles won't be happy with it, but for those satisfied with FM quality sound out of iPod or MP3, this might just be the ticket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh, yes, do your cars have tape players? If so, I get FM quality sound (or maybe a little better) using a casset adapter. Again, the adapter's cord attaches to the headphone output of the iPod, which allows me to balance the gain (volume) from the iPod with the volume of the radio control. Here, we are talking $20. These things too have a "bad name" -- I suspect because some used the USB port on the iPod for an output which lacks gain (volume). But in using the adapter to headphone jack system, make sure to turn your player's volume down to about 1/2 before using it the first time. Otherwise, you might overdrive your stereo. It takes much less iPod gain (volume) for proper balance with a casset adaptor than with an FM transmitter.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I have a 1991 and a 1997 sl500. Both have trunk mounted cd players. I want to be able to play mp3 player in the cars, but do not want to remove the factory radio. Thoughts?
If you have a Becker installed in your SL, you can sent it to Becker USA. They can hard wire an AUX input without the loss of your cd player (as I understand it).

On the following website you can find all the detals:

index

Good luck, Willem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts