Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML430
468 Posts
Thanks for showing us alternate shocks for the front (4 runner rears). Now I can order adjustable shocks for the front.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,564 Posts
Many problems here with this video.

1 The shock is not an original shock it is a AutoPart International 2701-423936.
The OEM which i have sitting in front of me is a Mercedes Benz co stamped KYB shock 163-326-04-00
The KYB has 3" of travel it measures about 15" compressed and 18" fully extended.

2 Putting on a longer shock with out adding any lift to any vehicle via lift kit is not going to in any way increase travel.
The travel on a ML is determined by the control arm and what the torsion spring is dialed into. As far as I know there is no lift
kit for w163s

3. Look at the video compare the shock on the bench to the mounted shock. The Bench shock has some daylight between the top
of the Shock cylinder and the dust cover. The mounted shock has no daylight and the proportion of shock cylinder to dust cover
is less then the bench shock. If you have to compress it to get it on you are losing travel.

4. Yes the body of the shock is shorter by a 1/2 inch so if there is any travel gain that is here it is. In the video it is stated that the shocks that were on there for a month
had a 2" travel that plus the 1/2 equals 2.5"

To sum up just stick to Bilsteins or KYB shocks and struts. Now if in the video he explained how he modified the suspension height
(which again has a min and max height it can travel period) I might buy it. Also do not buy your shocks from a seller who's only store front is
EBay. If you want a hard stiff performance shock buy the Bilstein (B-6) 24-126649.

I would of liked to see the video compare the OEM KYB to the 4 runner replacement. But as it stands I don't see any benefit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts