Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '91 Mercedes 190E 2.3, Automatic. The transmission fluid is brown and probably hasnt been changed since the late 90s. :)

Can someone help a novice like me in flushing my automatic transmission fluid? I have no clue on where to look or how to flush it properly but I really would like to learn and do this myself. If you can point me to the correct guide or forum post for my specific vehicle I'm also good with that. I do have the old Mercedes Service Manual (with the intro music and red table of contents) but I find it confusing to locate anything and too vague.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A DIY on pages 182-185 on this PDF file.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11832/Resources/201Create/PDF/80001a.pdf

Be sure you change the filter and gasket while you are down there.
Thank you very much.

BTW what type of ATF fluid does the '91 Mercedes 190E 2.3 require? I do see mention of Oil Grade: AI-F but my local Canadian Tires makes no mention of that term. As for quantity the chart requires my transmission #. Hmmmm, i cant seem to locate that. Is that written on the underside of the car where i am to remove the pan?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I think it's just Dexron III. Should say in your manual.

I'm not sure where the number is, but someone with a car similar to yours will be able to tell you which transmission you have. You can also use the vin decoder to see.
??????

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is this correct?

So to perform an Automatic Transmission Fluid FLUSH & Filter Change I would do the following (see attached photos). I want to be sure i am looking at the right areas before tinkering....

1. Remove oil pan drain plug (A) and drain fluid

2. Turn crankshaft (B) until drain plug of torque
converter is accessible through opening in
vent grille (B). Remove drain plug and allow fluid
to drain. How exactly does one TURN the Crankshaft?

3. Disconnect filler pipe (C) and drain fluid.

4. Remove oil pan by unfastening screws (D).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Yup, that seems to be the way to do it.

You can turn over the engine either by slightly cranking it using the starter and hope you stop it in the rght place, or you can turn it over by hand using the crankshaft pulley in your engine bay.

Use the bolt in the center of the number 2 pulley to turn over your engine. It requires a 27mm socket on my diesel engine.

The whole manual can be found here:
Untitled Document

I think it is similar to the one in the FAQ, if not the same.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, that seems to be the way to do it.

You can turn over the engine either by slightly cranking it using the starter and hope you stop it in the rght place, or you can turn it over by hand using the crankshaft pulley in your engine bay.

Use the bolt in the center of the number 2 pulley to turn over your engine. It requires a 27mm socket on my diesel engine.

The whole manual can be found here:
Untitled Document

I think it is similar to the one in the FAQ, if not the same.
Thank you Babybenz! I will do as you said. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow (Thursday)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I checked around in my Service Manual and Owner's Manual PDF and i still cant confirm the usage of Dexron III for replacing my ATF fluid on my '91 Mercedes 190E 2.3.

Anyone want to chime in.

Unless i hear otherwise I'm going to assume Dexron III as you stated babybenz. For the record i found this at Walmart (Canada) for $8 (3L). Two for $16 to refill sounds like a good deal

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Dexron-III is acceptable for these cars. The transmissions originally called for Dexron-IIE, and Dexron-III is backwards compatible; it says this on the back of the Dexron-III bottles.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I thought it was not a good idea to flush a transmission when the fluid was brownish?.
I don't see why you wouldn't. Brown fluid is indicative of old fluid.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So a flush really doesn't require flushing it out with a mechanical device applying pressure into the transmission and shit? Flushing is simply draining the trans and converter?

·
66,894 Posts
You can still flush by draining, put some fluid, drive for a little bit while shifting in all gears, drain again, fill to capacity and you're ready to go. It will take a little more fluid but the intermediate fill up should serve as a cleaning phase.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
So a flush really doesn't require flushing it out with a mechanical device applying pressure into the transmission and shit? Flushing is simply draining the trans and converter?
I guess it's terminology at this point. Personally, I call that a power flush when you use the pressurized device and all that jazz. I have heard people say it's a bad idea to do a power flush on a transmission that is well past its service interval for fluid changes (I guess change would be a better word for what I call a flush). From what I understand, power flushes can blow crap out of the transmission that was preventing leaks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm i'm not quite matching up the diagram with my car. Is the diagram showing the engine from the front of the car or is this a driver-side "side" view of the engine?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
That's from the front view of the car. The belt pattern may be a bit different than yours, but the crankshaft should be in the same place.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's from the front view of the car. The belt pattern may be a bit different than yours, but the crankshaft should be in the same place.
ah i see it now. thanks.

i will get back to yall in a few moments on my progress. theres always a hiccup for me

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey hey. I got the crank shaft drain plug removed, the fill plug disconnected, and filter pan removed.

Lots and lots of very dark brown transmission fluid draining out. I currently have the car jacked up on the driver side so it is on a slight 15' angle. While it is draining i am wondering if this jacked up position is ok for acceptable oil drainage. Would it be better to have the car flat on all 4 wheels to allow it to drain? Or perhaps another position would be better?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bringing up an old thread..

Do you have to disconnect part (C) the fill tube to completely drain the system?? If so, is there a crush gasket, or copper washer there? Does anyone know where to get a new washer if so?

Should you put some extra atf through the fill tube to clean it out, or does nothing really ever get in there?

I will be doing this and swimming in atf soon! :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts