Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S320 W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 S320 digital odometer display is getting very dim. Is there a battery that needs replacing & where is it or does something else need to be checked.

Any help in solving this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Frank

·
Registered
1994 S420
501 Posts
I have the same issue, just been too lazy to fix it, removing the cluster seems really hard and you can crack it...

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
My 1999 S320 digital odometer display is getting very dim.
Hmm, my reaction to "getting dim", is that it is still light, but not
quite as bright as it used to be? If so, turn one of the knobs to regulate
intensity.

br,
syljua

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
I have the same issue, just been too lazy to fix it, removing the cluster seems really hard and you can crack it...

Its actualy 5 minute job(have done it like at least 10 times), and as long as your are not using those stupid hooks you have virtualy no chance of cracking it (unless you drop it on the floor or something)....seriously you will laugh how easy it is.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Its actualy 5 minute job(have done it like at least 10 times), and as long as your are not using those stupid hooks you have virtualy no chance of cracking it (unless you drop it on the floor or something)....seriously you will laugh how easy it is.
Just out of interest if it's that easy I might give it a go....whats the wiring like back there? Brittle like the rest of the car can get?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Just out of interest if it's that easy I might give it a go....whats the wiring like back there? Brittle like the rest of the car can get?
Just save it for friday, (cluster is all wraped up and will pop in to post office and send it to ya tomorrow after work).
Wiring is not brittle but be carefull with the plugs, do not pull on the cables but hold the actual plug and wiggle it from side to side while pulling down (square plugs have release tab you need to push to side while pulling)
Also if you are careful you dont need to remove that pillar trim, as the speaker cover just slides out from underneath it (once unscrewed, als be careful with that its kinda brittle plastic)....anyway dont let me scare you, just some tips and tricks that i learned hard way :)

BTW dont freak out, this new cluster has all the same plugs but the round ones are on the outside and square ones are on the inside but i had old and new (your one) side by side and plugs are identical (just placement is slightly off as they use different circuit board)...good news is that bulb for the temp display is finally removable....not like the old style.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts

I think it was you that replied to my wiper questions a while back saying that "removing the relay is a 30 second job - including popping the bonnet" - I laughed because it was in fact about a 28 second job :D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yeh for example engine harness on V8 is 30 minute job including removing the old one (and...poping the bonnet :D) ...it always gets me how MB dealers or even WIS has labour estimates that are almost 2-3 times longer than the actual job takes (for novice DIYer doing it first time)....

·
Registered
1999 S320 W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1999 S320 Digital Odometer is Really Dim

Hmm, my reaction to "getting dim", is that it is still light, but not
quite as bright as it used to be? If so, turn one of the knobs to regulate
intensity.

br,
syljua

Really dim, can barely make out numbers on either mileage or trip mileage. Knobs have no effect on intensity. The digital Temperature display just below it, is fine,

Someone also posted a reply stating I need to replace light bulb behind the display. Are these digital displays really back lighted and not all solid state devices including illumination?

Frank

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
i had the cluster with digital odo in my hand just yesterday, trust me there are two 1.5W bulbs one for milage meter and one for temp display, they twist out and have this black plastic cover.....i bet you ten bucks that the one for milage is burned out (very common) also bulb is seriously like $2 max

i dont have any photos but if you look at this photo (older style cluster) you can see bulbs behind:

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 S320 W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replacement bulbs

OK,

I'll try to pull the module, but first I'd like to get the replacement bulbs. Do you have the bulb's part number? Or do need to a MB dealer to get the bulb, assuming they will know what I want.

FRANK

·
Registered
1999 S320 W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Miloking,

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I make out sometime next week.

Frank

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
782 Posts
but be carefull with the plugs, do not pull on the cables but hold the actual plug and wiggle it from side to side while pulling down
yup, agreed .. last year when attempting to change the same bulb, I pulled on the cable and all 15 wires going into one of the plugs came off in my hand with the plug still on the cluster

took me all night searching on google (seriously I was up all night looking) until I found the schematics on a Russian Mitchel on demand electrical dia. site and put them together 1 by 1

I was one pissed off puppy... I had dinner plans that same evening!!!

for some weird reason, I felt the bond between my 140 and I got a bit closer after that night ;)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
yup, agreed .. last year when attempting to change the same bulb, I pulled on the cable and all 15 wires going into one of the plugs came off in my hand with the plug still on the cluster

took me all night searching on google (seriously I was up all night looking) until I found the schematics on a Russian Mitchel on demand electrical dia. site and put them together 1 by 1

I was one pissed off puppy... I had dinner plans that same evening!!!

for some weird reason, I felt the bond between my 140 and I got a bit closer after that night ;)
Shame you didnt say something, i got Mitchell OnDemand on two CDs, bought it of ebay about two years ago :) didnt even know it has electrical info as well... BTW LOL that you canceled you dinner for that, i would do the same. It would be either.... me being pissed off and snapping at people for no apparent reason all night or rather no dinner at all :D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I just wonder how well is the LED going to work with the dimming knob.... but its worth the try for few bucks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts