Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ML 320
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way for me to go about re-securing this dashboard down? From the pictures you should be able to see that thedashboard is loose by the air vents and by the passenger airbag. I appreciate all thoughts, comments, and tips!

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
That actually looks warped pretty bad from heat. I have one corner of my airbag cover that is up but not as bad as yours. I was told I need to replace a clip to get mine to sit flat. It's not been very high on my to do list or would have actually had some useful advice.

I'd bet there is an r&i for the dash on the forum. Would think someone who had to get at the ac stuff under the dash would have used it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
Your dashboard problem is not fixable, but it can be prevented. If you really want to restore its appearance, you'd have to replace it. To stop it happening again, get a windshield sunshade and use it every time you park in daylight. I have one from Covercraft that is starting to fall apart after 8 years.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
That actually looks warped pretty bad from heat. I have one corner of my airbag cover that is up but not as bad as yours. I was told I need to replace a clip to get mine to sit flat. It's not been very high on my to do list or would have actually had some useful advice.

I'd bet there is an r&i for the dash on the forum. Would think someone who had to get at the ac stuff under the dash would have used it.
Complements of 43sqd R&I attached.

BTW - it took me 3 hrs to remove and install the dash for an air blend motor replacement. The instructions make it look easy, but you need some patience and a method to keep track of parts. My recommendation is just to live with the cosmetic defect unless you are really, really, really bored. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
ML 320
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for everyone's feedback! After I noticed the problem I started using a sunshade but by that point it was too late. I have certainly learned my lesson about using a sunshade and now will use one with any car I purchase.

Would it not be possible to even screw the dash down in a few places with some small black screws?

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
In an accident, the airbag deploys with explosive force - any modifications to the door could change its intended functionality, or worse - add a projectile to the face of the passenger.

·
Registered
ML 320
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to screw the dashboard down around the air conditioning vents. The passenger airbag area does not bother me as much... although I am slightly concerned that if it gets any worse the airbag will self deploy randomly.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
The only way to fix that dashboard and make it go back in place is to put weight on top of the deformed places and leave it in the sunlight for a couple of hours iv tried it in another car and it worked.

·
Registered
ML 320
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mclass13 :bowdown:! I have laid a towel down over the vent and placed bricks on top of the towel. I'll keep everyone posted on if it works.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
381 Posts
Thanks Mclass13 :bowdown:! I have laid a towel down over the vent and placed bricks on top of the towel. I'll keep everyone posted on if it works.
You have to do the procedure everyday after you park and make sure the sunlight hits it should take around 3-5 days for it to settle back in place

·
Registered
ML 320
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the vent, which snapped in half upon removal (quoted $70 for part from MB dealer, passed on that). I then applied a silicone based glue under the dash board and used bricks to hold the dash down until it tried. Besides the broken vent the whole process worked very well! If anyone has a spare vent that is black I would be interested in buying it! PM me!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
Thanks for the update. Pics?

For the benefit of other readers, I recommend the UVS100 sunshade, Covercraft p/n UV10673SV. They used to make the OEM accessory for MB, and they still do. They're made to order, and the price hasn't gone up in 8 years.
UV10673SV Covercraft.jpg
MB p/n BQ6670010 (NLA from MB dealers)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts