Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Mercedes 450sl & 1979 Mercedes 450sl & 1978 450SLC
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i get access to the horn contact brush? Do i need to take the steering wheel off or is there another way from under the steering to push this contact in?
Thanks Judy

Attachments

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,149 Posts
How can i get access to the horn contact brush? Do i need to take the steering wheel off or is there another way from under the steering to push this contact in?
Thanks Judy
Removing wheel is only way I know...

Have fun!

·
Registered
85 380sl, 06 Jetta TDI, Wagon
233 Posts
Hey that's my project for tomorrow, now when you get the wheel off how do you remove the contacts....I have a short in mine, work fine with the wheel off, work when I drop the wheel on. Torq it down and it shorts.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hallo Bear,
Can you make any pictures of the contact brush and its location inside the steering?
Thanks Judy

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I've got the wheel off my 79 280sl, I'll take some pics in the am.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pete, i am still hoping to reach this connector if i remove the turn signal and maybe with some kind of pic tool...?? A picture would help me to imagine where to find it... the wheel is original, green loctite, no way for me to get it off....
Judy

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Pencil torch, a block of wood , socket and breaker bar, it'll come off. There is a thread where someone removed the signal switch to repair something else but I don't recall what they were doing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Code:
Pencil torch, a block of wood , socket and breaker bar, it'll come off
I know Pete, I have read about it many times here, but it sounds like muscle work, i will better wait for spring for a mechanic if i can not reach it from where the turn signal sits...
The horn signal has its own life, sometimes it works, sometimes not, i suspect this contact is the culprit...

·
Registered
85 380sl, 06 Jetta TDI, Wagon
233 Posts
here are the pics, I've included one that shows how to get to the center nut/allen bolt (I understand that it changed over the years) Take out the center star (replaceable) and tackle what you have inside. I needed to take it too my local shop cause I couldn't do it, but it doesn't hurt to try first. next shows contacts up top (under the screws) next the contacts on the back of the wheel, and finaly the contacts that you showed in your picture.

Hope this helps

Brent

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,149 Posts
Thanks Pete, i am still hoping to reach this connector if i remove the turn signal and maybe with some kind of pic tool...?? A picture would help me to imagine where to find it... the wheel is original, green loctite, no way for me to get it off....
Judy
I have it documented the steering wheel removal on my website, rmsmith's Homepage , and there is a thread in the sticky by Nobby. Look for where he fixed his speedo... Several links in the thread, as are also on my website.

Happy hunting...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Brent, your pics help me a lot.
I never managed to get a steering wheel off, and now i can see how this contact brush sits in there... I will remove my blinker and with a long pic i will try to push it a little from behind to see if it makes any difference when i press the horn.
I think i checked everything else, the horns are working if i give them a seperate 12 volts test, i took the plastik cover from the steering wheel off, checked the copper contacts and springs, checked the connecters, grounds,..
Thank you so much... Judy

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Code:
I have it documented the steering wheel removal on my website, rmsmith's Homepage ...
Ja, I have just read your site again, great job you did documenting, thanks. Now that i know where i have to look for the contact brush it is easy, but searching in the forum for "horn contact brush" did not bring up much and i had no idea where this thing is hiding...
Thanks Ears, Judy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts