Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
W220, S430 LWB, 2000, 147.000 km
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for answers to that question: How to drain old fluid from Power Steering Pump? In my situation - it has to be done, period. Don't ask why. Dealers are not the option since there are none in my area. Please advise

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan, 1992 400e sedan
302 Posts
there is no drain for the power steering fluid. You can disconnect one of the lines on the rack and it will drain out.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
Starglider said:
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for answers to that question: How to drain old fluid from Power Steering Pump? In my situation - it has to be done, period. Don't ask why. Dealers are not the option since there are none in my area. Please advise

Thanks in advance.
I know you said dont ask why, but I have to. what makes you think it has to be done, period?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 s500 4matic (with 20k miles) and I can check the level of ATF by unscrew the reservoir, cap, after stopping a warm engine for more than 2 minutes. Inside the cap there's a level indicator, so I could just add ATF if needed.
But I have never tried to replace ATF before.

So, I just wonder (if needed), we could flush the ATF by doing these steps:
-1.Jack up the front end of the car, then support with stands,
-2. Remove return hose from reservoir and drain fluid into a container,
-3. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock to while draining fluid,
-4. Plug the opening at the reservoir and fill it with MB ATF fluid.
-5. Start engine for 1-2 seconds until fluid coming out of return hose. Stop engine.
-5. Repeat step 4 and 5 until there is no more air coming out of the return hose.
-6. Reconnect return hose to reservoir.
-7. Bleed the Power Steering system and and fluid to level.

Just a thought. Again, I've never done this before and have no experience on MB cars.
Any inputs?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
600's have a dual pump, one pump operates the ABC system and power steering system. the level of power steering is checked through the power steering resovoir.

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
i have a message "ABC drive carefully" come on and the car is very bouncy when driving, what happened? abc fluid low? relay bad, etc?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
check the fluid level first, if its low, you may have a leak somewhere. if its not low, possibly a faulty sensor or valve block/s

·
Registered
2003 s600, 2000 gs300
108 Posts
i took it to the dealer for a few things to check: they said front valve block and abc reservoir were leaking and want 1800 to replace. what? i also had them try to find out why my ac is not working front and rear. ac off light is on, no cold air---they said it was evap temp sensor and heat exchanger sensor based on DAS printout. Easy to replace? Also my cyl 7,8,10,11 are misfiring with check engine light on--they said left bank ECI ignition module is bad 1100 plus instal? Also it said charge air temp too high--what could this be? before i took it in i checked intercooler water pump-seemed to work and i opened the water cap between air coolers and ran engine to see if any air in system--did not see any bubbles-what could all this be? what do u recomend?

·
Registered
02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
259 Posts
pump the fluid out. replace with new fluid. do it 3 to 4 times after you run the engine and turn the wheel left and right a couple time. That would be the easiest.

If you contaminated the fluid and ran the engine. its already in the lines. You just have to cycle the fluid and pump it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts