Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Guys,

My warranty ran out recently and i serviced my car myself. I am an engineer and have worked on cars for years so i have a bit of experience in building engines etc.

Here is the problem:
I unscrewed the oil filter cartridge housing and removed the filter, what was strange to me, was the fact that i didnt find a place for the o-rings in the packet. After drying the rest of the oil in the housing, i saw that the bit with two smaller o-rinds is still stuck at the bottom. I also noticed that whoever has worked on the car at MB during its maintenance plan has broken one of the legs of that part trying to get it out. It appears that the end bit with small rings clips into the rest of filter "shaft".

So my question is: Has anyone come across this problem? Could someone post some pics with the end bit removed so i can see its geometry to come up with the best way to pull it out without breaking anymore legs.

Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie here. Fantastic post, thank you.

New question:

How do I change the oil on a MB 2002 year model C220 CDI?

Can I suck the oil out with an extractor through the oil input as I do not see or know of a dipstick hole on this diesel engine?

Lastly, what oil do I use?

Thanks for a great forum and the willingness to help!

·
Registered
11,365 Posts
I also noticed that whoever has worked on the car at MB during its maintenance plan has broken one of the legs of that part trying to get it out. It appears that the end bit with small rings clips into the rest of filter "shaft".

So my question is: Has anyone come across this problem? Could someone post some pics with the end bit removed so i can see its geometry to come up with the best way to pull it out without breaking anymore legs.

Thanks in advance:)
Does this pic help you?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Keyhole

Sorry, I have been away for a while. Thanks for the pic, part 3 is stuck in my case. I ordered a new part, now its just a matter of getting the old one out. Will make a plan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great thread!!! My sister-in-law takes her car to Sears and they said they could service mine. Not so true. I asked them if they could reset light and they had no clue and actually wanted me to print out your instructions and bring them to them. Needless to say my brother is changing my oil. Thanks for great info!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will this work on an 01' C320?

·
Registered
11,365 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reducing Engine Oil

Seems I followed the instructions to the letter, but for some wild reason the car thinks I overfilled the oil. On first check after reinstalling the covers under the car, the oil level said "ok". Drove the car for 2 miles to test and now it states "reduce engine oil". Anybody got a quick fix, or without have the extractor, do I just have to yank the drain plug again and jam it back in midstream? Please any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Dazed and Confused..
Kanesr228

·
Registered
11,365 Posts
A few comments:

1. What engine do you have, and how much oil did you put in?
2. On my CLK I can read the precise oil level at the cluster (in litres, when warm & level) in addition to the 'OK' message. Not sure about your model.
3. I would try to extract any surplus oil by sucking up via the dip stick tube. Thin plastic tubing would do the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Added 5.25 qts of oil, just noticed that I removed the plug from the bottom of the pan with hex nut as opposed to the bolt mention in "Brian's" post. What drained smelled & looked like oil?

·
Registered
11,365 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2002 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe appears different... The oil filter is towards the front, under the front "snap on" cover. The oil dip-stick (I think someone added this?) is near the front of the engine near the oil filter. Are you sure the model discussed in this article is supercharged (der kompressor, ja!)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
5w-20

Is there something wrong with using 5w-20? The dealership (when our oil changes were free) used 5w-20. Is that bad for the engine? I live in Cali so I don't have to deal with the harsh winters or super hot summers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you considered sucking the oil out of the dip stick tube like the dealer's do it. Seems less messy and quicker. This is what some of the guys use on the SLK forum - Pela 650 Oil Extractor at
I almost bought the Pela, but did not like the capacity (since the car is 7 to 8 quarts).

Then I was browsing the Northen Tools catalog, and found this 8-quart model (for less than the Pela):

LiquiVac Oil Extractor — 2 Gallon | Oil Extractors | Northern Tool + Equipment

Only down side is it's not as easy to see the oil level in the extractor, but empty is empty, right?

81 - 100 of 134 Posts
About this Discussion
133 Replies
89 Participants
raykar
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing