Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how the MAF sensor comes apart ? I see 4 small screws in the top, they come out easily,
the sensor starts to separate where the 4 screws were, but the other side is still tight.
I'd like to take this old one apart and see what's all inside, and not break it taking it apart.
anyone ?
it's the MAF for the M120 V12, 1994 6 liter engine.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
850 Posts
Drivers side or passenger? I replaced the one on pass side. Assuming the 94 Coupe and 99 S6600 are similar, un- clip the air filter 2(?) clips and remove. Loosen the clamp on the firewall side. Then you have to kind-of spread the Air filter housing forward and the MAF Assy comes out. You will have to unplug the sensor and remove. I seem to remember that it rotates to remove. Do not remember if CW or CCW.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
96 sl600,97 s420(gone) 96 CL600
618 Posts
He wants to pull the sensor out of the housing I think. The sensor is just a wire in the airstream.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, I already removed the maf sensor from the car, and installed the new one.
that's very easy to do. 5 minute job or less.
what I want to do, is take the "bad" maf sensor apart.
looking at the top part of it, there's 4 phillips head screws, they come right out.
but it still doesn't come apart.
no, there isn't just a wire in there, there's a big heatsink and series of wires, it's a complex assembly inside

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
140 Posts
LH engine management = 1991-1995. These use hot-wire sensor type for the MAFs
ME engine management = 1996-1999. These use hot-film sensor type for the MAFs

Huge difference.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Don't know about the early ones. The later ones just have two screws and an oring. Its not worth your time, there are images out there, its just a couple of wires in the airstream. https://www.delphiautoparts.com/gbr/en/article/making-sense-sensors-maf-sensor
no, it's very complex, I have this one apart. the lid pops off, there are 2 more screws under it.
there's a tiny pc board with many chip caps, etc. wave soldered onto it
and tiny wire connections, 12 of them.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,900 Posts
CRC makes a "MAF" Spray that works well at removing built up crud. One does have to take the assembly off the engine first. It has worked well for me but then the desert air is not too cruddy.
Anziani

1 - 8 of 8 Posts