Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really am fed up with this TPMS crap and would rather not have it. I check my pressures and don't need to see the pressures on the cluster. I think there is a way to change the coding on the instrument cluster via SDS to make the car think it didn't have this from the factory therefore disabling the system completely. I am going to have access to SDS this week and would like to know the specifics if someone knows. Thank you.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
In theory it can be done but I have never tried it. However you could simply disconnect N88 (TPM control unit) it is in the right hand foot well behind the metal plate, lift the carpet to find the plate.

·
52,804 Posts
Just talked to my Chief Tech and he said yes it can be done using DAS but do not simply disconnect it as the warning light will stay on.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
261 Posts
I don't know where this stands but from past experience you can disable this by a one bit change for 1 to 0 indicating with the 0 that TPMS is not present.
You can do this with Teleaid as well.
MB is reluctant to do it as they have liability concerns. I had them disable the passenger seat movement and lock out when folding the seats in my W211 2009 wagon and they required a waiver. Found out later there was a simpler way to fake out the system.

·
Registered
2006 w220 S430(current) w124 1994 e420 w124 1992 400E (past her on) w140 1996 S320 (past her on)
16 Posts
It cost 79.99 at the dealership. Labor cost only no tax my brother had it do to his 2005 s500

·
Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
261 Posts
Before any of us gets in a panic be sure you know what you have. There are two systems.
There is a tire pressure monitoring system TPMS that works on the wheel speed sensors to detect a tire going down. The principle is a soft tire will have a different speed than the rest and once you set pressures reset it through the dash and forget it.
If you have the more elaborate system that works on sensors on the valves of each wheel. That one needs to be disabled if you don't want it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have actually done it on my R230 so I assume it's pretty much the same steps in DAS

Do a quick test, then go into the Instrument Cluster module ("ICM")

There is an option called either Adaptations or Control Unit Adaptations or Version Coding or something like that.

Pick that option, and one of the submenus will show an item that says something like:

Tire Pressure Monitor: PRESENT

Change the option from PRESENT to NOT PRESENT and it will disappear

Note that there is a tire pressure module also listed (same screen where you see ICM) but the option is not there.. it's in ICM

Let me know if you can't find it.. this is from memory... I can fire up my DAS system and look at the actual steps. But the above should get you there.

·
52,804 Posts
I have actually done it on my R230 so I assume it's pretty much the same steps in DAS

Do a quick test, then go into the Instrument Cluster module ("ICM")

There is an option called either Adaptations or Control Unit Adaptations or Version Coding or something like that.

Pick that option, and one of the submenus will show an item that says something like:

Tire Pressure Monitor: PRESENT

Change the option from PRESENT to NOT PRESENT and it will disappear

Note that there is a tire pressure module also listed (same screen where you see ICM) but the option is not there.. it's in ICM

Let me know if you can't find it.. this is from memory... I can fire up my DAS system and look at the actual steps. But the above should get you there.
Version coding.

·
Premium Member
2006 S350 SWB; 1991 300CE; MB diesel sprinter van; 1999 AMG-C43 (sold); 1978 450SLC (sold)
102 Posts
I know this is a very old post, but I think perhaps my TPMS has been completely disabled by STAR at the request of the former owner. No matter how I try I can't get any TPMS menus to come up, have no warning light or messages relating to anything TPMS at all. I don't know if the sensors are in the wheels or not. In reading all the posts of difficulty with this system I might just want to leave it inactive.

I thought that maybe my #70 fuse was pulled, but it's installed, and I think if the fuse was gone there would be an error light anyway.

Additionally I think the Tele-aid has also been disabled, so maybe the previous owner was into simplifying and getting rid of functions they were not using.
Todd

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just leave it disabled. When you get in the car, look quickly at the tires to make sure they aren't flat.

Will be slightly more hassle but you'll save lots of money over the years on replacement sensors etc.

·
Premium Member
2003 SL500, 2012 E350 4Matic P2
841 Posts
I know this is a very old post, but I think perhaps my TPMS has been completely disabled by STAR at the request of the former owner. No matter how I try I can't get any TPMS menus to come up, have no warning light or messages relating to anything TPMS at all. I don't know if the sensors are in the wheels or not. In reading all the posts of difficulty with this system I might just want to leave it inactive.

I thought that maybe my #70 fuse was pulled, but it's installed, and I think if the fuse was gone there would be an error light anyway.

Additionally I think the Tele-aid has also been disabled, so maybe the previous owner was into simplifying and getting rid of functions they were not using.
Todd
From your signature it seems that you have the S350 so my guess is that the TPMS monitor was not an option. As to the TeleAid, not sure if that was available either. Get a copy of your Data Card from the EPC,instructions to join the EPC are in the encyclopedia. The option code for Tire Pressure Monitor is either 475 or 477. The code for TeleAid is 359.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2006 S350 SWB; 1991 300CE; MB diesel sprinter van; 1999 AMG-C43 (sold); 1978 450SLC (sold)
102 Posts
Got the datacard, and it clearly has the 475 TPMS and the 359 Teleaid. So these features must have been disabled via STAR as some point. For now I'll leave it the way it is.
Thanks,
Todd

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
TeleAid used the obsolete analog cellphone system, and should be disabled. (I think that it can be converted to digital, but that would be very expensive.)
The '05 and '06 W220 had digital tele-aid equipment when manufactured. If one wants the service (MB now uses MBRACE rather than Tele-Aid), it could be reactivated and used without an equipment change in those cars. When they came off the assembly line, the equipment was programmed for Tele-Aid; switching to MBRACE requires a firmware upload.

Tele-Aid and MBRACE are subscription services; but the electronic boxes were called tele-aid, after the name of the original service MB used. It can cause confusion. MBRACE uses the digital tele-aid box.

·
Registered
92 300CE/1996 mustang cobra (supercharged)/12 Civic/15 F150/04 F150 mud truck
8,105 Posts
I'm curious
I had a TPS issue on my 2012 civic
I installed aftermarket wheels but the TPS in the wheels were not communicating with the car
so I had to install 4 new TPS.
are you running aftermarket wheels ?
checking Tire pressure on a weekly basis is good PMCS. I'm sure you have a tire pressure gauge in your toolbox.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Stock wheels at this point, don't know about what sensors may or may not be in the wheels.

Warren, thanks for the info on the MBRACE upgrade possibility. Sounds like a dealer-only thing with the firmware and then of course the subscription. I'll look into it.
Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hace the opposite problem. I am trying to retrofit my w164 2006 tpms.
I did the harness, I bought the tpms unit, antenna but when I use sds the tpms unit doesn't work. I have the tpms unit number a1645400762. Can you help me what is wrong?

Thanks.

P.d. I did the dtr retrofit and work perfect but I need help about tpms.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
Damn, guess I am lucky or something. I've only ever had great experiences with the TPMS on both my C300 and S430. Love having them, they're always spot on and help me keep the tires full

1 - 18 of 18 Posts