Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a guy selling an '81 300D says it "starts right up," but that there's algae in the fuel tank, and that you just need to put some Startron in the tank and that will "clean it up." Somehow, it doesn't strike me as being that simple (if it were, why wouldn't he do it?). What might be involved here in terms of correcting this problem? I shudder to think. :)
Beverly

·
Registered
380SL diesel
1,275 Posts
So, a guy selling an '81 300D says it "starts right up," but that there's algae in the fuel tank, and that you just need to put some Startron in the tank and that will "clean it up." Somehow, it doesn't strike me as being that simple (if it were, why wouldn't he do it?). What might be involved here in terms of correcting this problem? I shudder to think. :)
Beverly
Never had algae but lots of posts indicate that Startron will do a pretty amazing job. I have had the tank out and it's not that big a deal. If it was really bad I'd be inclined to pull the tank and get it flushed. Otherwise give Startron a shot. Either way make sure you've got extra filters handy and don't venture too far until it's cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

Interesting. I guess my question now is about the possibility of algae getting spread throughout the other parts of the fuel system, or is it strictly confined to the fuel tank? If the algae is elsewhere, what is the solution? Is it still maybe Startron? Thanks.
Beverly

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
You should change both fuel filters the first time after Startron then just keep an eye on the plastic one, probably change it a time or two more. That should do it.

·
Registered
2 W123 300D's and 3 W124 wagons
346 Posts
Agreed, StarTron works. 10 milliliters per every 4 gallons of fuel is all you need. Make sure you buy the Diesel formula, not the Gasoline.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
algae

Thank you all very much for your input. We shall see if this works out.
Beverly

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
589 Posts
I did this last week. My tank was 1/4 full and i dumped the proper dose in. ..drove it around to mix it up and let it sit for 10 days (went on vacation). When I got back it started right up. I looked at the filters and noticed some little black things floating in it. I was going to change the filter but after taking it off, the black stuff went into the fuel line. I'm sure it will make its way back into my filter but I have extra ones handy if it gets clogged.
I've also heard that I should have filled her up all the way and then applied the startron?? So far so good i guess??

"diesel algae" is not actually algae.. more like a fungus.

·
Registered
1978 350SL, 1984 300CD 2003 SLK32 AMG
90 Posts
Mercedes Fuel Tank Removal and Replacement

DieselGiant has a great write up on this!!! :) Work perfectly for me!!

·
Registered
1998 E300, 2006 R350
491 Posts
When I had my W123, I had the 'black filter slime' syndrome. I used a product called Bio Bor, which I found at a marine supply store. It was around $20 for the bottle which treats some hundreds of gallons. I went with slightly heavier doseages than recommended, and within a few tanks and a couple filters, it was gone. I wanted to try this first before draining the fuel tank, and was glad I did. Certainly worth the $20 to find out.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
What ever chemical you use it will get circulated throughout the Fuel System when the Enging is running.
Most of your Fuel Supply goes through the Fuel Injection Pump out the Pressure Relief/Overflow Valve and back to the Fuel Tank; only a small portion gets Injected into the Engine.
One of the reasons for the large flow going through the Fuel Injection Pump Housing is to cool it.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
Biobor is another great product I have found at West Marine. I went through 3 inline filters before it stopped plugging up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
Can the screen in the tank be inspected with the level sensor removed (when the tank is nearly empty)?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Biobor

Re: Biobor for my '77 300D purge. "Be sure to get the diesel version." Would that be MD or JF? Thanks.
Hemersam

·
Registered
346 Posts
According to Biobor JF® Now Available at Aviall's Customer Service Center in Amsterdam

Biobor JF is a biocide for jet fuel.

According to

Biobor Fuel Additives

Biobor MD is a "cutting-edge over-the-road fuel improver" and according to

http://www.biobor.com/fuel-additives-products-biobor-md-index.php

BioborMD® raises cetane level, increases lubricity, lowers exhaust emissions, cleans the entire fuel system of sludge, prevents any water in the system from freezing, and lowers the pour point and cold filter plug point.

(this paragraph deleted, see next message)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Correction to last post: I just visited West Marine and looked at the bottle of BioBor MD, and at a bottle of BioBor JF at an industrial supply house. The MD states on the label that it is *not* a biocide; so, in order to kill the algae or fungus or whatever it is, you would need the JF.

Since StarTron costs less than 4 cents per gallon of fuel, and I know it works well, I'm going to stick with StarTron. The combination of StarTron plus Diesel Kleen costs less than 19 cents per gallon, when Diesel Kleen is bought in the concentrated 2.5 gallon jug. Actually, that's the cost when putting 15 milliliters of the concentrated DK in per gallon, which is what I do since I'm burning 87% WVO. The label amount of DK (concentrated 2.5-gallon version) is only 2.5 milliliters per gallon. So, if you add 2.5 ml of StarTron per gallon and 2.5 ml of Diesel Kleen concentrate, you're paying less than 7 cents per gallon of fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts