Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a C230 Kompressor. She has just obtained a bluetooth-enabled phone. I tried to set it up with her car, but nothing happens, on the console it says TEL OFF, although I did put the cellphone into discovery mode. However, I have no idea how to put the car's TEL system into discovery mode. The General Instruction Manual says there is a separate Audio/tel st up guide, however, there was none given. Looking at some previous post in other forums, it seems that it only works with Mercedes's own phone. Is that true I would be grateful for any suggestion.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2015 S550
11,233 Posts
It would also be helpful if you provided the model year and where you reside (at least, the continent, if you don't want to be specific). Those two factors can make a big difference in the response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replies for DieselBenz and Skylaw

Dear DieselBenz and Skylaw,

Thank you for your replies. I'll contact the dealership regarding the manual.
As for my location, it is here in the USA (Tennessee). The car is a 2005 model.

Thanking you.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2015 S550
11,233 Posts
Look in your phone compartment to see if you have a phone system installed at all. if you have the MHI contact plate shown at Fig. 39, http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone Install Bulletins/2005 C Sedan.pdf, then you have a phone system. If that's all that's there, you'll also need a Bluetooth puck.

If you do not have the MHI contact plate, you need the entire phone system shown in the phone bulletin, except you can delete the linear compensator and the antenna switch if you're going to use Bluetooth instead of a plug-in phone cradle.

If you have the MHI contact plate but need the Bluetooth puck, see Vehicle Selector - you'll probably want the Bluetooth option. You can purchase either puck pictured at http://www.wireless4mb.com/page18/assets/phmhibt12-3-09.pdf - order either through AWS or from your dealer.

And, you can get pairing instructions, etc. at MHI BT Info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Case closed

Today I called the gentleman at the dealership who sold us the car. He informed us that in our car it is not possible to connect just any phone. It would require installation of an expensive system. So we will not do it. Thank you again for all your comments.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2015 S550
11,233 Posts
Hello Skylaw,

In this post you talk about no having a MHI contact plate. If I'm going Bluetooth and I'm pre-wired what parts will I need? Thank you for your help!
Welcome to the forum.

First, you should always provide the model and year of the car you are inquiring about, and also the continent (unless you'd rather be more specific) that you live on. You can do that in the User Control Panel, so you don't have to repeat it each time. The answers can vary quite a lot based on that information.

Second, questions that are asked frequently often result in a "sticky" at the top of a forum. Questions about handsfree phones are some of the most frequently asked of all, and indeed there is a sticky - the "How-To Guide" for cell phones - on this topic. It provided information for most vehicles - although you'll have to do a bit of reading and following links. Please do that - and if you still have questions, then ask.

There is a more recently edited version without interruption by a myriad of questions at 1. How-to guide for cell phone upgrades, plug-in and bluetooth - Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums - it may be easier to follow.

The link to the phone bulletin for your car in the applicable section of the Guide will show you what the MHI contact plate looks like (if your car is of a vintage to use MHI), and will list the equipment needed - except that for Bluetooth-only, you will not need the linear compensator or antenna switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning Skylaw,

Thank you very much for the information. Also, thank you for taking the time to explain how to go about using posted information. I will take your advice to heart and begin to read more on this forum. Take care and have a great weekend.

2005 C230 Kompressor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.