Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m changing rear brake pads on 2015 S550. After the brakes have been put into service mode and it’s time to compress calipers does it require a tool that will compress and turn it or will a tool that only compresses the calipers work? Thanks.

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can purchase a brake piston wind back tool from ebay . Myself i use a large G clamp . But some pistons need screwing back in to the caliper .You will identify these though the 2 holes in the piston crown i have the end of a pair of c clip pliers ground down to fit inside the holes inside the caliper crown. Dont forget to remove the top on your master cylinder and keep an eye on the fluid level .As you push or wind back the piston the fuid will return to the catch tank and over flow in some cases.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is typical timeframe for replacing brakes on this car? I purchased a 2016 S550 4matic with 36,000 miles in May 2019. The brake pads were replaced at 18,600 miles. Brake fluid was flushed/changed at 20,500 miles. The car had a 10,000 mile checkup at 28,000. It is now due for another routine checkup with 39,000 and today the brake pad warning light came on. This is my sixth Mercedes and I have never changed brake pads that often?

·
Registered
945 Posts
BeardSL To start with you need the information that you will find in a workshop manual.The brakes are are a safety factor, and they need to be done the right way , for your sake as well other road users . If it was me i would go to youtube put in what your looking for and as a rule you will find it in a video form, just how this job is done . Pelican Parts have a good - How To Do It section .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
plinker17722
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing