Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im stripping out my 240 in preparation to sending it to a yard, and one thing I want especially is the manual sunroof. How do I remove the whole thing? do I have to pull the whole headliner down to get every part?

I read some great posts on the drain servicing, but is there more to simply take the whole sunroof apparatus off the car?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You need to open the sunroof a little more than half way, Remove the handle, then unclip the sunroof panel (interior) on the front edge. Once unclipped, remove the interior panel up out of the sunroof. Not down into the cabin.

Don't try and unclip the panel without first removing the handle. You'll rip the panel. Speaking of which, if your panel is 82 or earlier date color and you don't want it, I could use one.

Once that's out, you can see the latching mechanism, which is only a handful of screws to remove. That's as far as I've ever needed to go with a manual sunroof. I don't know if rails are different, etc.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Forced did this I believe. With some drilling and pop rivets no need to remove the whole pan.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
I was just pointing out alternatives. There have been others that used this method as well. I guess its a fear of removing 20+year old headliners..

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fortunately, the head liner was already hanging down in shreds on this car, so proceeding with more violence than caution with a box cutter, I fully exposed all the bolts for the whole pan, removed/nipped the hoses for the 4 drains, and then pulling gently from the rear where I could get my fingers under the lip, peeled the whole pan down and out.

It really helps to have a second person though to hold up the front end of the sunroof pan. We then finagled it out the driver side door. The thing is huge, the car had no seats in it (I removed the interior already), so Im not sure if you have to pull out the driver or passenger front seat to really provide access to get the whole pan out, but you might. Were I to do this again, I would probably preemptively remove one or both of those seats ahead of time. Would not fit out the rear doors, even with no rear seats.

Putting it in the other car will be a trick, as the head liner there is undamaged and winmutt's point stands. I don't know if I can possible expect that headliner to remain in one piece with its age. Its also hanging down a bit in the back, I might have to wait until Im ready to spend money on a new head liner before I install this.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Yeah, the headliner in my blue wagon came out in pieces, but the headliner in the silver parts wagon came out beautifully.

Regardless, you now have a fully manual sunroof in your possession.

If anyone in the Pacific Northwest is looking for one of these conversions, I have a full wagon pan sitting here in the garage for sale for any reasonable offer.

What did the yard charge you?

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the headliner in my blue wagon came out in pieces, but the headliner in the silver parts wagon came out beautifully.

Regardless, you now have a fully manual sunroof in your possession.

If anyone in the Pacific Northwest is looking for one of these conversions, I have a full wagon pan sitting here in the garage for sale for any reasonable offer.

What did the yard charge you?
This was out of my own car, I think the car is going directly to a scrap metal place when im done. Ive stripped the thing to nearly nothing at this point. last things to remove are the diff and axles.

I did call a local yard earlier before I took this out of my own car (actually before I retired the car), they quoted me 50 bucks at the time. Doors there are usually 35.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts