Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to color match my white panoramic hardtop to SA color code 777 ?

12K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  legend921 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals.

I just picked up a pano top for my Silver Arrow. The pano top is white with black interior and black trim on the exterior. The black interior is a great match with my SA but the white paint and black exterior trim not so much.

My thoughts were that I could paint the top black so it would look like the soft top which is all black. This would be the most cost effective and simplistic approach.

The other is to paint the top to match my Silver Arrow and use the exterior chrome pieces off my old hard top to replace the black ones on the pano. Not quite as simple but doable I think.

What are your thoughts?? Thanks!!

#5 ·
I received my top last week in Black, it will be sprayed 744 Brilliant Silver shortly
I was tempted to leave it Black as it blends nice with the almost Black glass on the Pano Top and makes it stand out a bit.

The only thing that stopped me is mine being the earlier two tone car. The single coloured cars look slightly better IMHO, but I want to keep the two tone as it signifies it's model year and eventually I may want to remove all the bling and get it back to looking stock.

I really don't want 3 tone :D but would be tempted to do Black with yours :thumbsup: Couple of pics Black on Silver, may help you decide.

Attachments

#10 ·
i would say get it colour matched.

#17 ·
Thanks! That's good to know. You just saved me a lot of wasted time and frustration.

I will be painting the top silver. I'm not to confident in my ability to remove the trim however and will probably leave that to the paint shop.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Boy, are you in trouble now. :D

You'll have to keep your eyes open and hopefully you'll find one. Another budget concern would be the interior color matching. I would imagine the exterior paint job would be reasonable and quite simple but the interior color change would be much more difficult.

This post has been deleted
#42 ·
#23 ·
On that mission

So my wife is quite the internet scrounger... she found a reasonable priced top in California. We are in Chicago. " Cant you just UPS it?" I was asked. Needless to say we are still on the lookout for something closer. Again I am curious what interior colors were there?
Bob

#26 ·
So my wife is quite the internet scrounger... she found a reasonable priced top in California. We are in Chicago. " Cant you just UPS it?" I was asked. Needless to say we are still on the lookout for something closer. Again I am curious what interior colors were there?
Bob

I think all the standard interior colours are available, that were coordinated with the exterior paint.

Getting a top at the right price is hard enough, but getting one that also matches your current scheme is unlikely. You may need to get in and out re coloured if you want to look the same.

#30 ·
I would go with the black. The trim has to be a small fortune.
Not only a small fortune but a Special Order from Germany.

Here in lies the problem. Because he has a 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow his door and A pillar trim are polished Aluminum. If he doesn't get the Polished Aluminum trim for the Pano Top the two trims will not match. One will be Polished Aluminum and the other Black.

Attachments

#33 ·
do NOT change out ANY trim on the car. it is a 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow. LEAVE IT SILVER!!!

#43 ·
Finding the right body shop is going to be the key. I'll wait until summer to have the work done on the pano because I'll be rolling with the soft top then.

For what it's worth I have gotten a lot of positive comments on my SL with the white pano and it's starting to grow on me too. :D

#46 ·
Took mine in this morning, I just left Top and not the car as there are some screws underneath the rear garnish that have to be removed to get the trim off.
I have been quoted $200 for the paint work and some extra for removing all the exterior trim, which is required to do the job properly. I am not sure what the final price will be till I pick it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.