Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a W123 diesel with ivory MBTex. There is "graying" in all the textured furrows,ie dirt that does not come off with casual moist wiping of the surface.

What do you suggest as a safe cleaner that will not dry out or bleach the MBTex, and then after cleaning what would you apply to preserve it?

Also, for the plastic faux grain black dashboard, I have used Armor All in the past but it is so greasy. What would you use?

On the outside, what is best to treat the black rubber bumper and all the black "faux rubber" trim areas?

Finally, I am thinking of getting a Porter Cable 7424, but I see that there is a true dual action German product,but about $299, a bit pricy? Will the Porter Cable do for regular detailing. I have dullness on the trunk (China Blue), so would want to bring that back.

I have one section of a door that has lacquer crack aging changes. Don't want to repaint. Can anything be done to buff it out? I am doubtful, as the crack lines seem deep to me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Use a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser on the MB-Tex, it's the best for getting stubborn dirt and grime off of MB-Tex. Follow up with 303 Aerospace Protectant to protect it. I would also recommend the 303 to treat the dash, bumper rubber, and all outside black trim pieces. Try it on your tires too, it gives the tires a dark, matte look.

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. Hope to hear more.Not sure about the steam cleaning, there are not really dirt particles, rather just a dirty discoloration in those grain grooves, but let me know how the steam cleaning works.

H-Town-do you know where I can get that 303 protectant? I guess you probably agree about the Armor All-it just leaves everything shiny and greasy.

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
When I first got my MB I used Aerospace 303 and was amazed at what it did to revitalize the MB faux leather, which to my knowledge had never been treated before. It removed a ton of dirt, left a great protective barrier, is not greasy, and lasts a long time while supplying a great shine. Never used anything else but this stuff since, and use it on all my toys. Very good product. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Hope to hear more.Not sure about the steam cleaning, there are not really dirt particles, rather just a dirty discoloration in those grain grooves, but let me know how the steam cleaning works.

H-Town-do you know where I can get that 303 protectant? I guess you probably agree about the Armor All-it just leaves everything shiny and greasy.
303 is kind of hard to find in retail stores. You best bet is an online vendor.

Check this page out to find someone who sells it.

303 Products, Inc. Makers of 303 Aerospace Protectant, High Tech Fabric Guard, Patio Furniture Cleaner and More !

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
My Jacuzzi came with a bottle of 303 and I can tell you that it's mediocre at best. Does an OK job, but doesn't last very long. Also, don't know if I would put any of these protectants on the seats where I sit on as it may end up on your clothes.

If the vinyl is faded, there's not much you can do other than replace it. Take it to an upholstery shop and see what it cost to replace the covers or redo just the face of the seats. I would imagine with the economy being a little soft you can get a good deal.

·
Premium Member
2003 E320, bought with 62,000 miles... now 79,000!
151 Posts
RV stores or Camping World sells 303 Aerospace Protectant too.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mercedes-Benz MB-Tex

This material a vinyl-like synthetic material that is made softer and more flexible by the addition of plasticizers; the most widely-used being phthalates, in this form, it is used in some Mercedes-Benz vehicle upholstery and trim. Vinyl, like most materials used for auto upholstery has micro-pores that allow transpiration (The passage of water vapour through a membrane or pore.) they are not sealed per se

Cleaning / Care

Iz einszett ‘Plastik-Reiniger’ is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore your interiors original texture and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane and vinyl covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly.

Maintenance / protection - clean surfaces with 5:1 (or stronger) solution of a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) to remove stains, and then apply a suitable protection (1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger) that contains ultra violet protection.

For UV protection – (303 ™ Space Protectant) spray product onto a micro fibre towel, gently wipe surface working from the centre outwards, ensuring that the surface is cool to the touch; the surface to be protected should be damp, not saturated with the product. Use a clean, dry cloth and agitate to ensure the protected surface has an even covering.

After application allow 60 minutes for product to cure, then using a clean micro fibre towel to lightly buff surface (this product does not air-dry)

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.​

1 - 12 of 12 Posts