Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all

I am now the proud owner of an OM606 engine! It uses the same P/S pump and A/C compressor as my W202's OM605.

I received the engine without ancillaries, so I have purchased a 2nd-hand alternator, A/C compressor (which I may not need) and P/S pump (which I will need) to allow the fan belt to be installed. I still need a few parts before I can assemble everything and run the engine.

Thing is, I bought these in quite a messy condition from the scrap yard. I may not need them in the car. but I need them now and I don't want to damage them. So I was hoping to clean them inside and out to get rid of any possible sand ingress. I suspect (or hope, really) the P/S pump can be flushed out with ATF and acetone or similar before I put in clean ATF. But how do I clean an A/C compressor? As I said, though, I could just not use the A/C compressor if I have a shorter belt.

Thanks

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,050 Posts
The A/C circuit is filtered by way of the receiver/dryer unit. Do NOT try to clean the compressor, other than the outside. Doing so will likely render it ruined. Ditto on the power steering pump. The pump has a internal filter, which is removable.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am such a dunce...

I completely forgot that the A/C compressor has a clutch that disconnects the shaft from the pulley. Basically the A/C unit will be a nice locator for the fan belt pulley.

"My" P/S pump is the later unit with the rectangular reservoir. I believe those do not have removable filters.

Thanks, though.

·
Registered
1995 E320 wagon
443 Posts
The compressor if it's bad or has any junk in it the reprocussion of it can be detrimental to the system. Basically, any junk in that compressor will get pumped onto the system which means it will need to be flushed, expansion valve and drier replaced etc etc. Personally, I'd be putting a new compressor on. I don't like doing ac work twice

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said in the OP, I don't think this A/C compressor or P/S pump will be used in the car. I just need to get the engine running on a test bed, and I only need these ancillaries to allow me to turn the water pump. I'll cover the ports with rags to keep dust out of the A/C compressor, and I'll MacGyver a way to keep some clean oil in the P/S pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts