Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The engine in my 2003 S430 locked up suddenly on the interstate a few weeks ago. Brief history. I had the passenger lifters replaced. The car ran perfectly for 35 miles when suddenly cutting off. The engine then would not crank/turn over. My mechanic does not know what happened, but the engine is LOCKED. We removed the starter, but still no luck. The oil was fresh/full.

Now, I am thinking about a used engine. Any suggestions what to look for? Most do not have a service history.

Any help appreciated.

Richard

W220 Moderator
Hi Richard,

See my reply in your other thread ;)

Also, if you are going the used Engine route, you absolutely need to here it running and know what (verifiable) mileage is on it.

Use a different "Mechanic" I would bet money that with this type of repair, an M113 Engine locking up 35 miles after the repair is absolutely 101% the fault of the idiot that has worked on it !!

HTH,

Registered
Search Craigslist for parts cars that have running engines , see it run and do a carfax ($5 using this link)

To see service records for that car

Used engine should be under $500. Or you can get one from eBay from a dismantles who offers a warranty . Many provide the vin of the car It came out of so again you can check the service history using carfax

Registered
Hi Richard,

See my reply in your other thread ;)

Also, if you are going the used Engine route, you absolutely need to here it running and know what (verifiable) mileage is on it.

Use a different "Mechanic" I would bet money that with this type of repair, an M113 Engine locking up 35 miles after the repair is absolutely 101% the fault of the idiot that has worked on it !!

HTH,
I 200% agree. A certain R class had its 113 just lock up right after some work was done. It happened just as the car was sitting, hearing parts of the story; it's purely some bad work somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Well, you鈥檒l need to pull the engine to diagnose it, but it may be better to cut your losses and just go for a different car. We know yours was dirt cheap to begin with, but possibly because there was a hidden reason, and with your mechanic expense no longer so cheap.

W220 Moderator
I'd pull the Passenger Side Valve Cover first to see if something like a Cam Sprocket Bolt was left loose !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts