Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Ml320 I do want to change the transmission fluid and filter, but I’m not sure how to check the fluid level. I purchased the dipstick but it is not much help, I would love to hear if anyone had experience with changing transmission fluid, help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
sednec - 5/17/2005 9:49 AM

I have a 99 Ml320 I do want to change the transmission fluid and filter, but I’m not sure how to check the fluid level. I purchased the dipstick but it is not much help, I would love to hear if anyone had experience with changing transmission fluid, help will be greatly appreciated.
Sednec,
Welcome to the board.
Small advice:

If you are industrious enough to change the transmission fluid on your own, you should certainly be able to use the search function on this site...

:)

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol..thanks for the advice, after reading about 50 posts I gave up, none of them explains how to read to dipstick but I will continue looking...[:(]

·
Registered
ML500, 2005
412 Posts
Fluid change is somewhat hard to do. Cap is sealed, requires removal and a dip stick purchased from the dealer. Checking requires temp of the fluid to be known.
Level is by certain temp. Fluid is only available from the dealer, as it is synthetic. part#A 001 989 21 03 10.
jd

·
Registered
2000 ML430
657 Posts
sednec - 5/17/2005 9:49 AM

The tranny is too sensitive to fluid level....if the level is incorrect when you fill the tranny, It will let you know. I would just pay the dealer to change the tranny fluid, tranfer case fluid, and differential fluid and call it a day. I had the dealer service my tranny back in December. I had to take it back for leaking tranny cooler lines. After new lines were installed, Everything is ok and the tranny shifts smooth.

·
Registered
ML 320 1999
2 Posts
You might want to check out this recent thread regarding transmission fluid changes. A few prices are posted. I'm a bit curious myself since I've currently got the car at a 3rd party shop and they're charging me $395 + tax for 60K service. I have to check to see if they will change the transmission fluid. Rear pads are at 20%. Pads and labor will cost me another $186 + tax. This is in the San Gabriel Valley area of Los Angeles.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1206928

----
ML 320 - '99

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
ronton888 - 5/18/2005 9:17 PM

You might want to check out this recent thread regarding transmission fluid changes. A few prices are posted. I'm a bit curious myself since I've currently got the car at a 3rd party shop and they're charging me $395 + tax for 60K service. I have to check to see if they will change the transmission fluid. Rear pads are at 20%. Pads and labor will cost me another $186 + tax. This is in the San Gabriel Valley area of Los Angeles.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1206928

----
ML 320 - '99

Aaah. welcome to the board, and an excellent forum member who uses the search function!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts