Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 90 500sl.
all the posts seemed to skip this, as a lot of them are about changing the fluid. i assume checking is simple, but i looked under the hood for 10 mins, still unsure where to check.

symptoms: unresponsive for reverse (can take 5+ secs when cold), and hesitation to upshift and jerk when so. i would like to check the fluid first, as this car feels neglected by its ex owner. a picture or two are even better to help me out. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
The tranny dipstick tube is just to the right of the TA you're trying to remove. You have to flipup the locking gate, then it pulls out. You have to check running and hot. I sent a pic to your phone.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same as in 500sl? since i was asking about the 500sl. also, my phone could not get any picture messages, not sure why, but just cannot. could you post it here? we will try to buy the tools for the 600sl and check fluid for the 500sl.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thank you guys so much. i can't believe it is in the manual - i read it like 10 times.

now can i top it up with any ATF (dextron-iii)? the level is almost at the bottom of the dipstick (yes, that is how low it is!!!) i was so mad. please also advise how much fluid we need to fill it up to maximum. i will wait for the answers and go buy fluids. thanks!

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
thank you guys so much. i can't believe it is in the manual - i read it like 10 times.

now can i top it up with any ATF (dextron-iii)? the level is almost at the bottom of the dipstick (yes, that is how low it is!!!) i was so mad. please also advise how much fluid we need to fill it up to maximum. i will wait for the answers and go buy fluids. thanks!

Adding transmission fluid is fairly straightforward, be careful not to overfill with too much fluid.

If you overfill the transmission, the additional fluid can create enough pressure to blow the seals within the transmission.
Therefore, you only need to add a minimal amount of transmission fluid by small increments while monitoring the tip of the dipstick.

Dextron III is the correct ATF, please take a look at M-B Service Sheet and Factory Approved Service Products for the R129.
Always be sure to check the transmission fluid level with engine idling at normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adding transmission fluid is fairly straightforward, be careful not to overfill with too much fluid.

If you overfill the transmission, the additional fluid can create enough pressure to blow the seals within the transmission.
Therefore, you only need to add a minimal amount of transmission fluid by small increments while monitoring the tip of the dipstick.

Dextron III is the correct ATF, please take a look at M-B Service Sheet and Factory Approved Service Products for the R129.
Always be sure to check the transmission fluid level with engine idling at normal operating temperature.
thanks a lot. got pennzoil atf and filled it up. that pdf is also very helpful;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts