Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a very easy way at the cluster to verify the operation of your generator and the associated voltage regulator .

1) Go to this thread, and navigate to b) and then to b3)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1600969-how-read-engine-oil-level-cluster.html

2) With the engine off, the display UB will be the voltage at the battery terminal when charging is off. Normally between 12.0 and 13.0 vdc with a healthy battery.

2a) Now start the engine, and watch the UB value rise as the generator operates. If it does not rise, you have a generator problem.

2b) It should stabilize at about 14.2 vdc. If it does not stabilize you have a voltage regulator problem. When you turn the engine off, you can watch UB decay back to the normal battery voltage.

If you suspect an intermittent failure, you can leave the display here while driving, so that any abnormalities can be noted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Coupe
134 Posts
My car, an '03 320, will not do this. Does this procedure work on an '03? If it should, then somebody's missing something because I followed these instructions to the letter several times with no luck.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should work OK for your 03 W209.

What is not happening? Can you not display UB at the cluster?

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Coupe
134 Posts
Exactly... Pressing RESET 3 times within three seconds does absolutely nothing. Maybe you're supposed to do this after three seconds? ...Or maybe this is not working for me because I keep getting the stupid "SOS" Teleaid malfunction popping up??

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Coupe
134 Posts
Went and tried it yet again. Nothing. Can't seem to get to that "UB" screen. Maybe the engine has to be warm first? [Baffled]:(

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,955 Posts
The "hidden" menu is there on all W209's. It's very easy to access:

1. With the engine off, enter the vehicle, sit in the driver's seat, and close all the doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it one click to position "1".
3. Scroll through the menu options in your MFD until it shows the "Standard Display", which is the one with the speed, outside temperature, or FSS (miles to service A/B) options.
4. Press the trip odometer reset stalk three times.
5. The MFD should now display the hidden menu.

Note that there is no time limit as to when you can begin pressing the stalk, but you have to press it three times within about two seconds. Think of tapping out the cadence of singing "Jingle Bells". :)

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that one of the problems here might be the 'standard display'. This is always shown when you first enter the car with the doors closed. Then when you insert the key, the display will jump to the last one you used when driving. The 'secret menu will not work with anything but the 'standard display'. So tab it around to get the 'standard display' again.

Pull out the key and start the sequence again. This time it should work for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320 Coupe
134 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it another shot...

EDIT: ...Still doesn't work. Got in the car, closed the door, inserted the key, turned it one click to pos. 1, scrolled from the "1 malfunction" screen (that being the silly "SOS Teleaid not activated" message) to the "standard display--that set to show digital speed with outside temp and trip odo beneath, pressed the RESET VR/stalk 3 times within 2 seconds, ...and nothing. ...It just stays on the "standard display". No beep, nothing... (????????????????)

·
Registered
2003 CLK320
9 Posts
I have the same problem and, the same problem with my 03 W209.

1) Visit Workshop light comes on while driving. Some mornings car won't start and I have to charge battery. Also ESP and ABS messages

2) No combination of turning key and pushing reset button 3 times will display voltage on cluster. I've read forums and watched youtube videos, and every day for two weeks now iv'e tried this and it doesn't work. Can someone confirm that this is available in all CLK 320?

3) Hooked multi meter up to battery and placed it on the windshield to watch voltage. After starting car it slowly goes from 13.5V down to about 12V and then I shut car off because I don't want to charge battery again.

Does this sound like alternator or just voltage regulator? Do replacement alternators come with voltage regulator? I need to repair this weekend as it's already been two weeks since first started?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2) No combination of turning key and pushing reset button 3 times will display voltage on cluster. I've read forums and watched youtube videos, and every day for two weeks now iv'e tried this and it doesn't work. Can someone confirm that this is available in all CLK 320?
We have recently discovered that some early 2003 CLKs did not have this feature. See this thread (post #62):

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1600969-how-read-engine-oil-level-cluster-7.html

3) Hooked multi meter up to battery and placed it on the windshield to watch voltage. After starting car it slowly goes from 13.5V down to about 12V and then I shut car off because I don't want to charge battery again.

Does this sound like alternator or just voltage regulator? Do replacement alternators come with voltage regulator?
I would suspect the alternator here. You should get over 14v dc from it. Parts.com sell the alternator & voltage regulator as separate items, but a brand-new alternator is very expensive. Can you find an auto-electric shop that would exchange yours for a refurbished one?

Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

·
Registered
2003 CLK320
9 Posts
Thanks for the info keyhole The door sticker for my car says 01/03. So I guess that goes to further confirm not all CLKs have this feature.

I live in NYC so I have the luxury of shopping around Sat morning for best quality/price on the alternator. But I'll start calling the usual places first.

Pushed my luck too far today driving home the Battery icon came on, then the radio cut off, then the steering got heavy, next the transmission wouldn't shift. Drove carefully in 1st gear for about a mile. Stopped for a red light and the engine started sputtering and I pulled over and shut it off. Charged the battery from a friend's GMC truck for about 10 minutes and that was enough to get me another mile to home.

I'll update after I replace alternator.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pushed my luck too far today driving home the Battery icon came on, then the radio cut off, then the steering got heavy, next the transmission wouldn't shift. Drove carefully in 1st gear for about a mile. Stopped for a red light and the engine started sputtering and I pulled over and shut it off. Charged the battery from a friend's GMC truck for about 10 minutes and that was enough to get me another mile to home.
Wow... that sounds quite scary... But you cannot say that the car hasn't been trying to warn you.....:)

I had something similar once (not an MB) with my battery gradually discharging during a journey, and I also didn't make it home. In my case it was the voltage regulator failing, and a Roadside Rescue guy fixed it with a spare part he carried on his truck. So this failure could be either. But I still suspect the alternator.

Hope it works out well.

·
Registered
2003 CLK320
9 Posts
I just realized I hijacked this thread to my alternator replacement. Sorry.

I did replace alternator two weeks ago with rebuilt BOSCH from Advance Auto parts. It was an exact match for the one I took out. All together it took about two hours. Everything works fine now.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
434 Posts
Keyhole thanks for posting.

I had a chance to check it out. I got to the screen with the engine running it's reading 14.2, 14.3 and it's just flicking back and fourth never steady. Is this normal? when the engine is off it's reading about 12.4 to 12.5.

I'm trying to figure out why my interior lights is dimming with a strobe effect and notice my RPM is fluctuate by little (vehicle have 105k miles) and when it does the car shakes a little. I had my mounts replace I'm getting ready to replace the spark plugs/wires and all the coil packs. Hope this will solve the RPM issue.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,955 Posts
I'd check the voltage with an old fashioned analog voltmeter. Digital meters, including the built-in onboard display, tend to smooth out the readings too much. An analog meter is much easier to use when diagnosing brief voltage spike or fluctuations.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a chance to check it out. I got to the screen with the engine running it's reading 14.2, 14.3 and it's just flicking back and fourth never steady. Is this normal? when the engine is off it's reading about 12.4 to 12.5.
Yep - that's what I get too, and it's normal. The digital reading is 'hunting' between 2 values and will do that. Rudeney is right about checking with an analog meter, but you cannot do that while driving and checking for an intermittent fault.

I'm trying to figure out why my interior lights is dimming with a strobe effect and notice my RPM is fluctuate by little (vehicle have 105k miles) and when it does the car shakes a little. I had my mounts replace I'm getting ready to replace the spark plugs/wires and all the coil packs. Hope this will solve the RPM issue.
Is this happening just during idle? I have read here that the first sign of a bad/dirty MAF can be an intermittent idle. I would look into that before changing all the spark plugs and wires. I'm not sure why that should dim your interior lights though, if the battery is in good shape. :confused:

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
434 Posts
Thanks Keyhole. It only happen at during idle. I will look into the MAF. As for the spark plugs, wire, coil packs I already have them just waiting to get some time to drop off the vehicle to my mechanic.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
434 Posts
Now the vehicle take longer to start so I recheck the voltage thru the menu. went from 12.2 up and stabilize at 13.2. but it drives fine with no issue (drove it around 30 miles). I'm guessing it's time for a new battery since. It's 8 years old and have 105k miles. If it's the battery can I go aftermarket or do I have to stick with Mercedes?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm guessing it's time for a new battery since. It's 8 years old and have 105k miles. If it's the battery can I go aftermarket or do I have to stick with Mercedes?
So you have a factory-fitted battery from 2004? - so do I. I'm just wondering how much longer mine is going to last. I have never before got 8 years from a battery, so I am intrigued.

Well - MB don't make batteries do they. I think they use Varta, which I can also buy on eBay. The important thing is to get a known/trusted brand. My car came with a 'heavy-duty' battery which has a higher capacity (77 Amp/Hr) than the average, and I reckon that I will replace mine with the same size and brand again.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
434 Posts
Thanks Keyhole, Mine is 100AH. Going to call Mercedes tomorrow and see there prices are since I know the shipping from Parts.com will be up there so I'm thinking it may be cheaper to go the dealer route.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts