Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,
is there any how to change the front rotor&pads for a 500 sec 85 ?
im planning to change mine soon, but just wanna be sure i do the right steps.

is there any video or pictures explaining how to replace them ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Click on "User CP" (Control Panel) and fill in your information.

Use the Search function - this topic has been discussed in detail many times. Go through the DIY post at the top of Forum - many topics.

Al

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Please fill out your profile so we know what model you have and where you are. Members of this site can be very helpful and , who knows, maybe near enough to help. The search function is your friend.

Would also behoove you to get a copy of the service CD's. these tell you step by step.

The job you speak of is easily a DIY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, i just filled my profile.
and i got a CD, but it doesnt really explain how to remove the rotor, and what steps exactly etc (it says how to remove front axle but doesnt really explain how to replace rotor and pads).

there is a how to here on the forum ? i tried the search before posted the topic, but couldnt really find about the 500 sec.... i saw some 300SD etc but dont think they are exactly the same.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
You need to look for specific jobs on the CD's, you need to copy the index up at the top in the stickies onto a cd so you have it at your convenience. The index is worth it weight in Gold.

A hint. after you get the front hubs off, bolt them up to a tire and turn over to break loose the bolts that hold the rotors to the hubs from the inside.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
#1 - Remove wheel and tire
#2 - Remove the two bolts holding the caliper on. Be sure to remove the two holding the caliper on and not the two holding the control arm on.
#3 - Separate the calipers with a flat blade screwdriver and mallet and remove the caliper.
#4 - Remove the caliper
#5 - Remove the Grease bearing cover with a flat blade and mallet.
#6 - Use a 5mm Allen to remove the bearing block. It unscrews off the axle once you loosen the Allen
#7 - remove the front wheel bearing.
#8 - Remove the hub.
Assemble in reverse taking care to clean and re-pack the bearings.

Once the hub/rotor assy is off, look on the inside and you will see 5 large Allen's that hold the rotor onto the hub. As Charlie said, re-mount the hub to a wheel and use an impact hammer to remove the bolts. They are usually held in with blue locktite. Be sure to use blue locktite on those bolts and the ones that hold the caliper on. They are prone to coming loose with the vibrations of brake wear. Do not skip this step or the caliper can come off during braking.

If you PM me your email, I will send you a better set of manuals along with instructions on how to use them properly. It's like a 'Welcome New user' kit.

PM me for any questions.

MC

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
PM sent with some help with the CD's and thanks Mike for your help for him too.
I was trying to find the instructions on how to replace the brake pads in the CD's and didn't have any luck, but did find him the sections on removing the hubs....

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts