Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 E430 and need to change the battery. I see that it's under the rear seat. I do have a replacement battery. Could someone tell me the steps to change this battery? I'm a little afraid to do it because it's not in the normal place and also I don't know if there is anything special about doing this on a Mercedes.

I don't see a Search function here. I'm sorry if this is a repeated question.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
To change the battery, make sure that the ignition key is not in and take out the back seat bench. You can remove the seat by pressing on the two tabs under both sides of the seat. The battery is on the passenger side. You can just simply replace the battery. However, after the new battery is installed, you may need to synchronize a few things. I have responded to a previous post by attaching a complete list of items that might need to be re-synchronized. You can search this forum by clicking on the "search" link (in the upper right hand side). It's easy to find, just look carefully. Here is a copy-and-paste anyway:

Synchronizing Head Restraints:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery
disconnected or empty), the head restraints are no
longer adjusted automatically. To resynchronize the adjustment feature, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approximately two seconds.

Synchronizing power windows:

disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened or
closed by the Express feature. To resynchronize the express feature, press side of power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening and closing procedure of the windows should now be restored.

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and
hold for additional 1 second.

Synchronizing ESP:

disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction
indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine
running. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out.

Synchronizing remote control:

The remote control may have to be resynchronized, if
the vehicle cannot be locked or unlocked. To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock.
The remote control should once again be operational.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Make sure the vent tube is in place unless you've got an Optima.

Len

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do the batteries purchased from an MB dealer come charged or does one need a battery charger as well.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
If you are buying a battery from MB do not get over the counter (unless you are a shop or get discount). ROADSIDE assistance will come out with a battery, install it and resync what ever is required and charge no labor, only for the battery. I have used them at least three times, truck comes to the house or wherever you are, usually within a half Hour or so.
TRhe dealership will charge for labor if it goes into the shop, per my service advisor.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Yikes, wouldn't the dealer be a very expensive place to get a battery??

BTW, my mechanic build a cute little tool with a motorcycle battery and a 3 foot pigtail terminating in a cigar lighter plug. He plugs it in when going to remove the battery to keep all the circuits live and prevent a need to re-sync everything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are buying a battery from MB do not get over the counter (unless you are a shop or get discount). ROADSIDE assistance will come out with a battery, install it and resync what ever is required and charge no labor, only for the battery. I have used them at least three times, truck comes to the house or wherever you are, usually within a half Hour or so.
TRhe dealership will charge for labor if it goes into the shop, per my service advisor.
I was unaware you could have them do this. Thanks for the heads up. My battery in my E430 went dead, and I was going to go to the dealer this weekend to have it replaced. But since, according to you, AAA(who is my current roadside assistance provider) doesn't charge for labor, I will go this route instead. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,332 Posts
I was unaware you could have them do this. Thanks for the heads up. My battery in my E430 went dead, and I was going to go to the dealer this weekend to have it replaced. But since, according to you, AAA(who is my current roadside assistance provider) doesn't charge for labor, I will go this route instead. Thanks.
Don't confuse AAA with Mercedes Roadside Assistance. They are two different animals.

You are resurecting an old post and MB has changed it's lifetime free assistance policy. Unless you have been having your car maintained by the dealer you won't get it free anymore. I don't know the requirement but it is something like you have to have spent $100 in the previous 12 months to qualify.

AAA depends on what coverage you have and has nothing to do with MB Road Side Assistance.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Do not go to the dealer for battery replacement, they will charge labor. Call Mercedes Roadside assistance,( 1800 for mercedes) they will send out a tech from the local dealership to your home ,office, etc. and change the battery. They will recode everything including the radio, its a little expensive but you will get a genuine MB battery, I paid $135 the last time I think it has gone up a little ask, when the tech calls back, because some dealers dont play by the rules. MB pays for the service call the battery should be "over the counter" priced.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,324 Posts
I remember paying $180 about 5 years ago for MB battery. Those made in Spain are good batteries, but only 2 years warranty suck.
Than convenience of technician coming to your place and resetting everything is worth something.
If you have time and Sam's Club near by, check them for much better prices and 100 months warranty. Costco used to carry batteries for MB, but not anymore at least in my area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK so here's what happened...

I woke up and did not read your replies yesterday so i was unaware for hadn't thought of calling MB Roadside Assistance. So I called Triple AAA. Called them and they came out to the house. Guy gets here and then finds out he doesn't have the battery for my model car (E430). Says even if I buy a new battery myself, he can't change it. They only change batteries if you buy the battery from them. Bummer.

The good news is, he gave the car a jump, and I was able to drive it down the street to the local Pep Boys. Pep Boys had a Bosch battery so I bought it from them for $108 + $17 installation labor coast, including an 8 year warranty! Not bad if I say so myself and much cheaper than spending what would probably have been close to $200 had I called MBRA instead.

·
Registered
2001 E430
18 Posts
To change the battery, make sure that the ignition key is not in and take out the back seat bench. You can remove the seat by pressing on the two tabs under both sides of the seat. The battery is on the passenger side. You can just simply replace the battery. However, after the new battery is installed, you may need to synchronize a few things. I have responded to a previous post by attaching a complete list of items that might need to be re-synchronized. You can search this forum by clicking on the "search" link (in the upper right hand side). It's easy to find, just look carefully. Here is a copy-and-paste anyway:

Synchronizing Head Restraints:

disconnected or empty), the head restraints are no
longer adjusted automatically. To resynchronize the adjustment feature, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approximately two seconds.

Synchronizing power windows:

disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened or
closed by the Express feature. To resynchronize the express feature, press side of power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening and closing procedure of the windows should now be restored.

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and
hold for additional 1 second.

Synchronizing ESP:

disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction
indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine
running. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out.

Synchronizing remote control:

The remote control may have to be resynchronized, if
the vehicle cannot be locked or unlocked. To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock.
The remote control should once again be operational.
Wow... Thanks for this info. Sorry first time owning a Benz and this is great info lol. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts