Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bulb in speedo?

: how do you take the speedo pod out to change the bulbs in it?<p>If my american english is correct, i presume you want to know how to change the lamps in the dash cluster...<br>Mercedes made it possible to pull out the dash cluster with little hooks (by mercedes) which need to be placed at both sides of the cluster. But since there is only a little space between the soft dash & the cluster and the steering wheel is too close to the dash cluster, this might result in a damaged dash or a bursted "glass". It is better to take away the panel under the steering wheel (1 "mutter" near the pedals, 1 ventilation grille, 6 screws and a handle for opening the hood (1 screw to be removed, tear out the handle & unhook the cable)) and push the dash cluster from the back to the front. Take care with the underside of the cluster and the top of the steering wheel (with SRS-cable-ring).<br>When pulling out the cluster, disconnect the cables (2 connectors) and take out the complete dash cluster.<br>There are 2 different types of bulbs in the cluster which provide the light & before disconnecting the dash cluster you have to be sure that the contact-key is turned off. If you turn the contact key without the dash cluster being connected, the SRS light will be turned on untill this system is reset.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: bulb in speedo?

Thank you so much for your response.... I did do what you said on my own inititive yeterday am only reading this post now.... I did try and push it but it did not come out from behind, i dont want to break it also the bonnet release cable is not goin back properly or im doin sumin wrong, the bonnet is shut now but if i release it i have to unhook the cable, then shut the bonnet and then re-connect the cable HMMMM... anyway I am from the UK because u were saying summin about your american english!<br>Have you ever pushed out the cluster from behind?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bulb in speedo

: Thank you so much for your response.... I did do what you said on my own inititive yeterday am only reading this post now.... I did try and push it but it did not come out from behind, i dont want to break it also the bonnet release cable is not goin back properly or im doin sumin wrong, the bonnet is shut now but if i release it i have to unhook the cable, then shut the bonnet and then re-connect the cable HMMMM... anyway I am from the UK because u were saying summin about your american english!<br>Have you ever pushed out the cluster from behind?<br>YES, I pushed out quiet some clusters from behind and indeed: some clusters are hard to push out. The cluster is not tightened or fixed to anything and is ment to be pulled or pushed out (it is kept in place with some clamps). If you use one or two hands on one of the back corners of the cluster you should be able to push out the cluster. As soon as you have a start at one side, it becomes easier to push out the total cluster. The cables/connectors can be released after the cluster is pushed/pulled out.<br>The cable for the bonnet is to be fitted at last (to prevent you from getting the problem you have). Whilst mounting the cover under the steering wheel, you have to stick the bonnet-cable through the opening in the cover where the handle should fit. Mount the cover & tighten the screws after which you take the handle and put in the end of the inner cable. When the inner cable is fitted, turn the handle and pull the outer cable so that it will fit in the handle as well (there were it belongs). Put the handle in place (click in the upper side and tighten the screw), open the bonnet and pull the bonnet-cable (gently) towards the headlight. If you do so, it shouldn't be any problem opening and closing the bonnet any more.<br>American English, UK English....I'm dutch so it is all the same to me...<p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts