Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seached the net to find out the owner and builder of the SLK with this sub installed

So he shared with me some "secret".
This is the email:

--------------------------------
I think to install the subwoofer only into the footrest without an enclosure will have not a good result.

They may have some problems with acoustic shorts in this small area.
The best thing is to laminate an enclosure with glassfibre.

Before I startet I cutted the damping material out of the foot rest area,
than some brackets to fix the subwoofer housing has been glued down to the firewall.

The area which you will like to laminate should be covered with tape.

I have built the box in three steps,

one is laminating glassfibre into the footrest,
second is laminating a flat part of glassfibre (600x700x10mm) as an baffle and top plate,

third is to laminate this three parts together.

The possible enclosure will be 15 - 20l, good enough to install a nice 8" Woofer into it.

I hope I could help you with the information.
What kind of pictures you have seen from my car, because its still the third installation step.

Where do you want to install the mids and highs at your SLK?

The SLK has a lot of acoustic problems arround 200 - 250Hz, if you like I can help you to make no trouble by install your car audio system.

Best regards
---------------------------------------------

What do you think?
[:D]

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Best way to build a box is to cover the footwell in aluminum foil, then in masking tape, and then fiberglass a mold to fit your footwell, and then use a 3/4 inch piece of really nice dense plywood to make the front of the box with. Use wood screws to attack the fiberglass to the wood, and a silicone sealant to make it airtight. For good sound, you probably want a ported box, so you could make a port on the left side of the box, near the center console, so it doesnt shake the door too much. good luck

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DA_SURG - 3/2/2005 1:17 AM

Best way to build a box is to cover the footwell in aluminum foil, then in masking tape, and then fiberglass a mold to fit your footwell, and then use a 3/4 inch piece of really nice dense plywood to make the front of the box with. Use wood screws to attack the fiberglass to the wood, and a silicone sealant to make it airtight. For good sound, you probably want a ported box, so you could make a port on the left side of the box, near the center console, so it doesnt shake the door too much. good luck
Do you have some pics?
Just to understand how this work must be done.
Thank You

1 - 3 of 3 Posts