Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 560SL, 06 Prius, 07 Prius
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I recently bought a new car (prius), the 560SL is retiring to garagequeendom. (I did a half-hearted attempt to sell it, but luckily it did not sell!).

I have it running pretty smoothly and would like to keep it that way as much as possible, so I'm wondering what things I should do regularly beyond the normal maintenance items.

The first thing I'd like to determine is what the best interval for a drive to keep everything flowing smoothly? Currently, I take it out once a week for a 20 minute cruise at around 65mph. Does this sound like a good speed and distance? Would shorter or faster be better?

Also, I've started to keep the gas tank full as much as possible. So I fill it up right after the weekly cruise. This is because I've read to avoid fuel line issues due to rust and sediment its best to keep the gas tank either completely full or completely empty. I just re-did the fuel line (distributor, injectors, etc) and would like to keep it as clean as possible.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks -- J.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
You're doing good. Just drive it. As often as you can! :)

But a Prius??? We need to talk...

·
Registered
88 560SL, 06 Prius, 07 Prius
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Prius is a great practical car. The 560SL is a great fantasy car. They actually complement each other nicely.

So do u think the optimal driving schedule is to drive it more frequently than once a week? I'll also be taking it on texas roadtrips every couple of months.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
eAspenwood said:
So do u think the optimal driving schedule is to drive it more frequently than once a week? I'll also be taking it on texas roadtrips every couple of months.
Once a week should be often enough, but I've always heard it's a minimum of 30 minutes to get all the crud boiled out of the oil.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
eAspenwood said:
Since I recently bought a new car (prius), the 560SL is retiring to garagequeendom. (I did a half-hearted attempt to sell it, but luckily it did not sell!).

I have it running pretty smoothly and would like to keep it that way as much as possible, so I'm wondering what things I should do regularly beyond the normal maintenance items.

The first thing I'd like to determine is what the best interval for a drive to keep everything flowing smoothly? Currently, I take it out once a week for a 20 minute cruise at around 65mph. Does this sound like a good speed and distance? Would shorter or faster be better?

Also, I've started to keep the gas tank full as much as possible. So I fill it up right after the weekly cruise. This is because I've read to avoid fuel line issues due to rust and sediment its best to keep the gas tank either completely full or completely empty. I just re-did the fuel line (distributor, injectors, etc) and would like to keep it as clean as possible.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks -- J.
Drive the 560 at least once a week, if possible.
'These cars like to be driven' is a true statement.
Do a proper warm up, and then make sure you haven't accumulated any problems. Drive as usual, looking for anything out of the ordinary for the car. Store according to the next time you expect to drive.
Happy motoring.
BTW: Make sure you don't have the top on, unless absoloutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
eAspenwood said:
Please enlighten me on what this means as I have no idea.
When you start the engine cold you're running rich, and not very efficiently. It dumps crud (unburned gas, etc.) into the oil and it takes the oil getting thoroughly up to operating temperature and staying there for a bit to get it all burned off. The amount of time I've always heard is 30 minutes. That's why short trips are harder on your engine than long drives.

·
Registered
89 SL RENNtech / 89 AMG 560 SEC
241 Posts
garage queen

you need to get up real early on a sunday morning and run it down the southwest freeway- before anyone wakes up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts