Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me to how to manually adjust the dipped and main beams on the W164 please?

I can't see any adjustment screws round the headlamps.

My car has the high/low 3-position switch and four independent Halogen beam bulbs.

The main beams are a bit too high, they leave a dark zone below them, and the left dipped beam (RHD) is a bit low even at max height on the leveller.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very many thanks guys, you're both magic helpers! :)

I couldn't find the pages in the electronic handbook on my smartphone, it's too small for me to read. Looks like I'll have to recommission my laptop! :p

Thanks for taking the time and going to the trouble of finding and posting this and other info.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With your guidance and the help of daylight sunshine I found them.

One thing to remember is to raise the beams to highest using the 3-position levelling switch in the cabin before making the adjustment, is that in the manuals?

Of course, make the adjustment at night! :p

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I had quite a bit of puzzling to find the Sideways adjust screw. It's through the hole the diagrams you gave me show, BUT.... It's at an angle of about 30° outwards from the vertical, under the wing not directly under the access hole! :)

So you have to angle the top of the Allen key (a long 6mm, ball-ended one works easily) Inwards, towards the engine, to find the screw! It's very hard to see even in daylight.

That obstacle climbed, the H screw for Up/down worked as expected, easy peasy.

But the Sideways screw didn't appear to move the beam, with the engine running, neither the left nor the right.

And the left one seemed to click after I had turned a dozen times or so anti-clockwise, as if the screw has run out of a holding thread?

Afterthought - does it adjust the main beam? I only had the dipped beams on, and I didn't think to check that.

The left dipped beam still needs adjusting to the left but it's height is good now, it needed lifting a little.

I will probably replace the dipped beam bulbs with Ring Ultima +130% or +150% upgrade bulbs, they are 55Watt too so no overheating.

They have terrific range, 50+ metres, a strong light, and were great on my S Type - and they are a straight swap. They are also filament bulbs so there was no beam spread or glare.

Anyway, back to the Sideways adjusters - did I do something wrong chaps or have both screws really become detached?

Thanks chaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts