Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 200 kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've just bought a 98 CLK 200 kompressor here in Italy. Both low and high beams need to be adjusted horizontally and vertically. I see two kind of big black 'screws' on the top of both headlights: Is this the adjusting mechanism? Before touching, I'd prefer to hear from you knowledgeable guys...
Thanks,

Mauro

J

·
0 Posts
Hi everyone. I've just bought a 98 CLK 200 kompressor here in Italy. Both low and high beams need to be adjusted horizontally and vertically. I see two kind of big black 'screws' on the top of both headlights: Is this the adjusting mechanism? Before touching, I'd prefer to hear from you knowledgeable guys...
Thanks,

Mauro
Hi Mauro,

Yes, there are two black screws on the back of each unit which adjust for both the vertical and horizontal position of the beam. The one located immediately in the center, to the left as your standing in front looking down at them, adjust the vertical height (CCW=down, CC=up).

The USA owners manual recommends the following:

Park the car on a level surface at ~25 feet (8 meters) from a wall or garage door at a 90 degree angle. The manual says to use a straight edge to draw 2 vertical lines 49 1/2 inches (1250 mm)apart. Then look at the front headlight lens and measure from the floor to the small dot located on the high beam lens cover. Measure from the floor to the vertical height of the dot and subtract ~2 inches, this will be the height where you draw your horizontal line conecting the vertical ones.
Lastly, adjust beam so that the "vertex of the angle" created should align with your initial line drawings.

There you have it, hope this helps.

joe

·
Registered
CLK 200 kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you for your thorough explanation, Joe. Unfortunately, the Italian owners manual doesn't mention many common chores like that. May be they want you to go through MB and pay...

Mauro

J

·
0 Posts
Re: Thanks

Thank you for your thorough explanation, Joe. Unfortunately, the Italian owners manual doesn't mention many common chores like that. May be they want you to go through MB and pay...

Mauro

No problem Mauro.

Let me know if everything works out.

Joe

·
Registered
2002 ML320
338 Posts
Hi, I just replaced the right headlight in my fiance's 2002 CLK and cannot get the high and low beams to align properly (vertically). When both left and right low beams are properly aligned, the right high beam is excessively high. Are there separate vertical adjustments for high and low low beams? Is there a way to correct the problem? Thanks!

joe55 - 1/17/2003 11:41 AM

Thanks,

Mauro
Hi Mauro,

Yes, there are two black screws on the back of each unit which adjust for both the vertical and horizontal position of the beam. The one located immediately in the center, to the left as your standing in front looking down at them, adjust the vertical height (CCW=down, CC=up).

The USA owners manual recommends the following:

Park the car on a level surface at ~25 feet (8 meters) from a wall or garage door at a 90 degree angle. The manual says to use a straight edge to draw 2 vertical lines 49 1/2 inches (1250 mm)apart. Then look at the front headlight lens and measure from the floor to the small dot located on the high beam lens cover. Measure from the floor to the vertical height of the dot and subtract ~2 inches, this will be the height where you draw your horizontal line conecting the vertical ones.
Lastly, adjust beam so that the "vertex of the angle" created should align with your initial line drawings.

There you have it, hope this helps.

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts