Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another contribution from yours truly :] Please do sticky this for reference.

Step 1: Locate access panel for the hydraulic convertible top cylinder (main). It will be on the passengerside corner in the trunk - next to the 6 disc CD Changer (which was taken out).

Step 2: Lift the access panel door simply and you shall expose the hydraulic cylinder and reservoir. The 6 Disc CD changer will be in the way and we'll want to remove that in order to have better access to the cylinder.

Step 3: The CD Changer tray is simply held on by 3 bolts. 10mm. Very straight forward.

Step 4: Identify the hydraulic convertible top cylinder & reservoir. Note, that the hydraulic hoses are NOT detachable so you will have to work your way around them.

Step 5: Identify your fluid level (Should be Pentosin CHF20/CHF11). The fluid level should be in between the markers on the side of the reservoir. I am obviously low (probably due to a slow leaking cylinder) so we will need to top off.

Step 6: Find the filler screw which will be located at the upper right hand corner of the cylinder. The allen key provided may not provide you with enough torque to get the "break" the bolt loose so we used a stubby allen rachet. The size should be 5mm. Be extremely careful as you want to first properly seat the key before you start torquing. Also, be extremely careful when taking the filler screw out - there is a copper washer that goes with it. DO NOT LOSE THE PLUG & WASHER OR ELSE YOU'LL BE MAKING A TRIP TO THE DEALER!

The filler plug & washer

As per All Data, Mercedes has a special tool to siphon/fill the hydraulic fluid. However....

Step 7: But because we don't have the "special tool", we made due with using a siphon and an empty water bottle. We used a small vacuum hose simply because we only needed a few ounces. Once the fluid level is at the maximum mark, carefully reinstall the filler plug & washer and hand torque it tight.

And that's it! Please do share this on other forums (Slkworld, mbworld.org, etc) as I am at this moment too lazy and tired to do so on my own. Lol.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Not totally correct. The roof have to tilted to the 'service' position, that is with the rear window about vertical. You should then support the roof in that position and check the level. It does make about 2/10th of an inch difference in the level.
But it is a good initial way if you want to siphon out the old fluid or if the level is too low to open the roof.

·
Registered
'02 slk320
84 Posts
Another thing you need to verify. Everything I read before working on mine said that the filler screw used a 5mm hex. After several frustrating attempts I finally removed the side trunk liner and the large metal brace over the pump to gain better access. Come to find out the screw was actually a large torx drive.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
35 Posts
The easy way

After spending so much effort to remove that filler bolt, I did it the easy way the second time.

I heated up a nail red hot and just punched a hole through the plastic oil container. Add fluid then sealed hole with a little piece of duct tape. Did that about a year ago. It worked great.

·
Premium Member
1998 SLK 230 Kompressor, 1993 500 SEC
109 Posts
After spending so much effort to remove that filler bolt, I did it the easy way the second time.

I heated up a nail red hot and just punched a hole through the plastic oil container. Add fluid then sealed hole with a little piece of duct tape. Did that about a year ago. It worked great.
I can't tell if that's horrifying, or genius. I bow to your boldness and creativity, and am kinda glad I'm not likely to buy a used car from you ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
SLK230 Hydraulic hardtop pump

Filler is TORX. A 3 oz syringe and 1/4" plastic gets the job done in a snap, Change the o rings to a nitride design when you have the time. :wink

·
Registered
Current Vehicles<br>1998 S500<br>1999 SLK230<br>2003 S55 AMG
74 Posts
Filler location

Filler is TORX. A 3 oz syringe and 1/4" plastic gets the job done in a snap, Change the o rings to a nitride design when you have the time. :wink
Does anyone have a photo which identifies the filler location?

My reservoir does not seem to have any level marks on it. It looks empty.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 SLK230 AMG Sport
71 Posts
Another option is Pentosin CHF202. I researched appropriate hydraulic fluids for our SLK Vario roof, and found that this one matches the specs and is used by other M-B owners. I don't recall if it's the same actual fluid as OEM, but it's available virtually everywhere. I don't have to fight traffic only to be insulted at the dealership.

I have used this for two and a half years, and put the top up and down a couple of times every day. It works.
marc

·
Registered
- Class G320 V6 2003 WDB4632501
244 Posts
hello
* we do not see the pictures of the first message

Do you know a company that is custodian of the pumps Hoerbiger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello friends,

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement filler plug?

Would prefer a genuine one, but anything will do. To suit a friends SLK230, but I assume they are all the same.

I called the dealer here and they do not list a part number, only the complete hydraulic pump.

If anyone can supply me a part number or an after market one that will be awesome thank you. I am located in Australia, but can buy online of course.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,395 Posts
I would try a metric bolt from the hardware store

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would try a metric bolt from the hardware store
Cheers mate, do you mean just to work out the thread pitch?

Or actually just put a bolt in there to seal it up?

The factory plug uses a copper washer to seal it up.

All good, I appreciate the reply. I might just see if I can weld a nut on top of this plug so I can get a socket onto it instead of using the 5mm allen key.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts