Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300E 3.2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" 1993 3.2 300E arrived today. It does not have a CD player but according to the manual on the radio/cassette deck it is set up for the addition of a CD changer in the trunk.

Do I have to get a MB changer? I am not an audiophile. I just want something inexpensive to play my CDs. The ideal solution would just plug in to an existing plug (I am assuming there is such a plug) and show up on my current radio. It doesn't have to be a MB changer to please me.

I suspect that the answer to my question is already here someplace, but I don't understand all of the references to heads, etc.

Thanks.

Jeff Smith

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
cd changer

I have used an Alpine with an interface to connect to a '94 (non Bose). MB changers have terrible reputation for laser stability for which I can vouche. Much better quality and far less expensive. Total was about $300, but it has been a while. Go to a specialty shop; Circuit City and Best Buy can't help you.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: cd changer

I have used an Alpine with an interface to connect to a '94 (non Bose). MB changers have terrible reputation for laser stability for which I can vouche. Much better quality and far less expensive.
Just curious, how can you make a general statement that "MB changers have terrible reputation..." etc. compared to Alpine, when nearly half the MB changers have been made by Alpine, and all of the current models (since 1999) are as well?

Because I've seen a lot of problems with Alpine changers too. [:)]

-s-

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
Fair Point.

Never claimed to be an expert, but in this case, I am a relatively well-informed consumer. I was referring to the poster's '93 CD changer, which was, most likely, the same as my former ones. My opinion based on having had to replace one on a '92 e-class, 2 on a '94 e-class (1st under warranty), and feedback from 2 independent audio shops, my MB service advisor during that period.

I regret that I made an unfortunately general statement, and will be more careful in the future; but I'll stand by the content.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Thanks for the clarification! That's what I was looking for, so I can add it to my anecdo...

Thanks for the clarification! That's what I was looking for, so I can add it to my anecdotal evidence.

-s-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts