Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve found that the SLK is not designed to accommodate using a floor jack and jack stands. (My BMWs have convenient rubber jacking pads and frame rails for jack stands. In my owner survey I suggested that this is one improvement that MB could make to the SLK.)

USE OF A FLOOR JACK (one way, at least)

There have been some other Postings on this issue which suggest the use a rubber block on top of a rubber pad on a floor jack to fit into the receptacle under the SLK where the factory crank jack fits. I’ve done this on other vehicles and tried it with the SLK, but, there was not enough space under the car to use this setup without first driving the car onto blocks to provide additional ground clearance. And with the rubber-on-rubber combination, I did not feel this was secure enough.

However, I’ve found a solution that seems quite satisfactory: use of a standard 1 7/8 inch trailer hitch which fits nicely into the receptacle under the car. This is a tight fit and will slightly expand the rubber side of the receptacle, but this is no problem -- in fact the round ball of the hitch is self-centering.

I used my air tool’s cutting wheel to cut the shoulders off the stem of the trailer hitch so that the stem of the hitch fits into the hole in my floor jack. I then used a large washer (hole size 1 3/8 inch) under the ball. This gives the correct height of the ball to allow the jack and ball to slip under the car and yet yield no contact between the jack and the side body moulding. Depending on a car’s geometry and configuration (wheel size, AMG side mouldings, etc.) a different size washer may be needed. A washer with a smaller hole, say 1 or 1 1/4 inch, will cause the ball to ride slightly higher on the jack. This floor jack and trailer hitch ball combo can be used either at the front or rear jacking receptacle.

USE OF JACK STANDS

Now I can jack up the car, but where to put jack stands? After some study, I modified a set of jack stand posts to fit into the receptacle after I’ve jacked the car. I bought a set of 4 Ton stands from Checker Auto, #647529 Made by POWERBUILT of Denver, CO and used my air tool’s cutting wheel to trim down the tops of the jack posts as shown in the photo.

Now I can use the jack at the rear receptacle and jack it high enough to lift both the rear and front wheels on that side and high enough to fit the modified jack stands into the front receptacle. At the rear, a second set of un-modified jack stands can be placed under the large rubber bushing just inside the rear tire. In fact, I found that there are slots in the bushing structure that capture the jack post.

This seems to be an acceptable way to raise and support the car, but I must say that if you try this, you are doing so at your own risk. If you do raise the car to work under it, be sure to use jack stands and leave the floor jack in place as a redundant backup.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
slk55er

Thank you for the informative post.

I liked your concern for safety.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
Very useful post. I suggest adding a folder to the gallery so others can find these photos more conveniently. Set up a separate folder from mine, since "ownership" of the photos transfers to the member who created the folder.

BTW, I am able to jack up my SLK350 w/AMG from the side without first driving it up onto blocks. This suggests that my floor jack is slightly lower than yours, or that the SLK55 is even lower than the SLK350 with sport suspension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts