Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went for a nice drive in the back roads north of Sydney, along the Hawkesbury River. On the way back we came upon a veteran of the '70s, a Valiant Charger. (See Chrysler Valiant Charger). Valiant was the local brand for Chrysler then.
Anyway when we reached a hilly section, the driver thought he could gun his V8 up a hill and leave us behind. Well, he blew a lot of smoke and made a lot of noise, but outpace us he couldn't. Those cars are also not very good cornering.
Speeds remained modest because of the twisty road and after a little while when a piece of straight road appeared we blew on by.
Once these were the muscle cars to have. Sadly no more. How times have changed. ;)

·
Registered
05 E55 AMG
611 Posts
It's very true. Technology of internal combustion engines is always moving ahead. However if he were to upgrade the internals and add a nice blower to that original block, he' could make some serious power. Nowadays, unless you are really building up the older blocks for serious power, they really aren't worth driving because they not only use alot of fuel, but they don't put down the kind of power you'd expect for the level of fuel consumption.

I do appreciate the level of power those cars had for back then though. In those days, not much could keep up with you in one of those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts