Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a small question for you guys.

I've heard different opinions on this but have you guys seen any crash tests involving the trunk seat in the 7 seat version of the S210?

Some say that the seats are very safe mainly because of the direction that the passengers faces as majority of accidents occur in front impacts. Other find the distance from the trunk lid to the passenger too short concluding that the seats are more dangerous than the one in the passenger rear seats.

I'm just asking myself this as my two sons are eager to sit in the trunk and until now I've found it OK as they enjoy the ride that way even more.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks, Al.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,731 Posts
I read the manual, that gives those seats limited capacity, but I had my 6'2" friend sitting there with his wife having few extra pounds and they were good on cruising Las Vegas Strip.
I saved the thread where few years ago member posted pictures when his wagon was rear ended by SUV who did not stop at the lights. Maybe will find it later, but per my observation the rear had some collapse in the bumper area, meaning probably would broke passenger leg, but the main cargo area was still holding .

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,334 Posts
I have no hard facts to back up my opinion - but I would hate to be in those seats in a rear ender. There is no crumple zone (if there is one - you are sitting in the middle of it), no air bags, and you are horribly close to the impact zone with zero mass separating you from an onrushing 4,000lbs or so.

But as you noted - what are the odds of a high speed rear end collision in Iceland??

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,731 Posts
Vehicle safety have several aspects.
Hummers and full size pickup drivers consider their vehicles safe, because they always win in head on collision with smaller guys, while those vehicles have very high death ratio in single car accidents. Meaning roll-over or hitting a tree very often ends in the morgue.
Motorhomes are giving 0 safety for occupants in any roll over accidents as the walls have no mechanical integrity and crush zone ends on the floor, yet millions of owners take their whole families in them for vacation.
Owning a Mercedes you are already way better than average.
Cutting all the theoretical issue, here is the thread I mentioned. If this is not a vehicle that holds well after being hit by big vehicle at 60mph, I don't know what will. Per member report -Chevy lumina driver was airlifted to hospital regardless belts and airbags working for his protection.
Still having space in the 2nd row, don't put anybody in the 3rd

www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1278974-my-wagons-gone-check-out-hit.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts