Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a "new" set of summer tires for my 190E yesterday. My late husband was very knowledgeable sbout cars and taught me a lot over the years about cars in general. One thing he showed me was how to interpret the DOT date code on a tire. Because of the Covid 19 restrictions I wasn't able to check the tire date code in the store. I checked them shortly after they were installed and my car was ready for pick up. To my surprise I noticed that the date code onthe tires was "4417" which I interpret to mean the 44th (October) week of 2017 making my new tires already two and a half years old. I called the shop immediately and the store clerk advised that the tires on my car are an odd size that are not commonly sold any longer. and I shouldn't be surprised about the age of the tires. He offered to see if newer tires might be available in the distant warehouse and could see if any were possibly newer but it would take time. I was offered a $100 discount since finding tires with a newer build date would be hard. I usually replace the tires after about 6 years so these tires are already 1/2 way to being replaced.
Should I be concerned about the date code. Is the salesman right that the tires are still considered new despite being 2 1/2 years old? Is the $100 discount reasonable?

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,189 Posts
$100 from $1000 is a little vs $100 from $400. How much % are we talking about? I would say later half of 19, 2619 on, would be more reasonable.

(I honestly keep tires well beyond even 10 years, because it would be too costly for my current situation to change them out. I also haven't had any issue monitoring the tires/pressures of said ancient tires).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The discount is $100 from $600. Since I usually replace tires every six years the 2 1/2 date code means the tires are close to 1/2 way so the discount should be closer to $300 but I doubt that would fly!

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,189 Posts
Thanks. The discount is $100 from $600. Since I usually replace tires every six years the 2 1/2 date code means the tires are close to 1/2 way so the discount should be closer to $300 but I doubt that would fly!
I'd take the newer tires given that. Hope they take care of you like they should. (It sounds like they are trying).

IIRC 185/65VR15 were the original size unless you have a sportline model. There were no V speed rated tires available a while ago now. I tried two different sizes that still fit the original wheels to get the V speed rating. One did not fit perfectly in the spare tire well so I switched. 195/60VR15 fits perfectly in the spare tire well. Maybe they can find something suitable in that size with a more reasonable date code as an option.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,895 Posts
Depends on how they were stored for the 2.5 years. Big difference if they were in a garage away from freezing weather in winter and baked in the summer heat/sun.
You will have to assume worst conditions since the history is missing. I think a common rule of thumb is 10 years life for tires. So by that rule you have 7.5 years life left.

The tire shop (I believe by law) is not supposed to install tires that old, I'm not sure if it is 1 year or 2 years. Canadian law could be different.

If you plan to change them out in 6 years, I would avoid all the trouble and take the $100, but I could also be convinced otherwise....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just think that 2 1/2 years old tires are already deteriorating, There is no law in Canada regulations how old tires can be before they are no longer considered new, I suspect that the tires will not outlast the car but at my age they might well outlast me. I think I will try to negotiate a bigger discount and if not just take the $100 and let it go. The tires were already on sale for about $20 a tire.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,895 Posts
Good plan - Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts