Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How old are all you W140 owners?

37080 388
My Dad just bought a W140 (he's 56 years old), but he thought that only old people drive this car. Help me prove him wrong!

How old are all you W140 drivers out there?
1 - 20 of 389 Posts

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
My Dad just bought a W140 (he's 56 years old), but he thought that only old people drive this car. Help me prove him wrong!

22 when I got my baby..she was just 2 years old back then

· Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
I am 49... I can tell you that I would not have been able to afford this car before (1999 ...

I am 49... I can tell you that I would not have been able to afford this car before (1999 S500). My relationship with this car is like a love affair. I can't help it but admire it everyday. It is an incredible machine that your father should be proud to own. Not many people can afford this type of car. Although you may think that these cars are common, in fact, they are not - mine is one of 742 cars sold in the US for that year. What makes an American car a classic?? A run of about 1000? or 1500? You figure it out... . Mercedes Benz autos are prescision machines that a few can really appreciate - they are art work, they are sensual, and it says a lot about the owner. I have had many people approach me when I am gassing up. They cannot help but admire the car. Makes be feel very proud to own it. I'll attach a picture for you to see. I have also owned a 1983 300 Tubo Diesel 123, a 1988 420 SEL, and a 1989 300E 2.6 - I have loved them all!! My oldest daughter to whom I gave the 300E (and the 300 Turbo Diesel), tells me that she will never drive anything else - she's 25 years old.

What do the rest of you have to say?
[:D]

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: yes, and had a 420SEL (W126) for 8 years before that. Now, get your calculator! [:D]...

yes, and had a 420SEL (W126) for 8 years before that. Now, get your calculator! [:D]
So you bought your first Benz when you were 29 years old . . . a faithful customer!

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I am 49... I can tell you that I would not have been able to afford this car before (1999

I am 49... I can tell you that I would not have been able to afford this car before (1999 S500). My relationship with this car is like a love affair. I can't help it but admire it everyday. It is an incredible machine that your father should be proud to own. Not many people can afford this type of car. Although you may think that these cars are common, in fact, they are not - mine is one of 742 cars sold in the US for that year. What makes an American car a classic?? A run of about 1000? or 1500? You figure it out... . Mercedes Benz autos are prescision machines that a few can really appreciate - they are art work, they are sensual, and it says a lot about the owner. I have had many people approach me when I am gassing up. They cannot help but admire the car. Makes be feel very proud to own it. I'll attach a picture for you to see. I have also owned a 1983 300 Tubo Diesel 123, a 1988 420 SEL, and a 1989 300E 2.6 - I have loved them all!! My oldest daughter to whom I gave the 300E (and the 300 Turbo Diesel), tells me that she will never drive anything else - she's 25 years old.

What do the rest of you have to say?
[:D]
Man, you should do some Mercedes commercials [:)]
You sound like you really know how to appreciate your car! A true Mercedes enthusiast[8D]

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts

I am 37, and got the 1995 MB S420 when I was 36. That's the only way I could afford one. And guess what? I wanted an S-class (not just any MB) since I was 14 years old. It took me 22 years to get one.

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: How old are all you W140 owners?

I am 37, and got the 1995 MB S420 when I was 36. That's the only way I could afford one. And guess what? I wanted an S-class (not just any MB) since I was 14 years old. It took me 22 years to get one.
[:0] You have both the Lexus LS400 and the S-class . . . lucky guy!

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
I'm 26 and just bought my car (98 S500 sdn) about 2 months ago. From when I was a kid I a...

I'm 26 and just bought my car (98 S500 sdn) about 2 months ago. From when I was a kid I always wanted a MB - I guess b/c of the status and notoriety that comes with the brand. However, once I began driving I got a job valeting cars at a local nightclub. This is where I changed my perspective on why I wanted to own a MB. While valeting at a local nightclub I got to drive all kinds of cars from Chevettes to Bently limos. It was there that I learned of what separates a W140 from all other cars. Its shear size and heft grab your attention as if to say; "I'm hear, now get inside and lets go!" Once inside the sofa-like seats just scream luxury and outside noise is non-existent inside the cabin. But what really put the icing on the cake was the suspension. We use to park the cars about 3 blocks from the club and one of the streets was a very old cobblestone street. The potholes were gargantuan and most cars did not handle them very well. Put it this way, one attendant hit a pothole so hard that the driver side airbag went off (97 Taurus I think)! Anyway, going down that street with a town car (most would agree that a town car has the softest ride) was pleasant, but the driver would wobble around with the rest of the car. Not the S! It was very controlled over those same bumps. A soft supple ride with composure over rough roads or sharp turns is a marvel that no other car can match!

I bought this car for the looks, ride, power, and safety. Nothing on the road can compare! The only thing that comes close is the 7-series, which for the most part is very different. The only thing the 7-series does better is handling the curves. However, there is a sacrifice, ride quality. While still very good, no comparison to the S!

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: I'm 26 and just bought my car (98 S500 sdn) about 2 months ago. From when I was a kid I a

I'm 26 and just bought my car (98 S500 sdn) about 2 months ago. From when I was a kid I always wanted a MB - I guess b/c of the status and notoriety that comes with the brand. However, once I began driving I got a job valeting cars at a local nightclub. This is where I changed my perspective on why I wanted to own a MB. While valeting at a local nightclub I got to drive all kinds of cars from Chevettes to Bently limos. It was there that I learned of what separates a W140 from all other cars. Its shear size and heft grab your attention as if to say; "I'm hear, now get inside and lets go!" Once inside the sofa-like seats just scream luxury and outside noise is non-existent inside the cabin. But what really put the icing on the cake was the suspension. We use to park the cars about 3 blocks from the club and one of the streets was a very old cobblestone street. The potholes were gargantuan and most cars did not handle them very well. Put it this way, one attendant hit a pothole so hard that the driver side airbag went off (97 Taurus I think)! Anyway, going down that street with a town car (most would agree that a town car has the softest ride) was pleasant, but the driver would wobble around with the rest of the car. Not the S! It was very controlled over those same bumps. A soft supple ride with composure over rough roads or sharp turns is a marvel that no other car can match!

I bought this car for the looks, ride, power, and safety. Nothing on the road can compare! The only thing that comes close is the 7-series, which for the most part is very different. The only thing the 7-series does better is handling the curves. However, there is a sacrifice, ride quality. While still very good, no comparison to the S!
I can't wait to actually try driving the W140 . . . my Dad gets his in about a week . . . The anticipation is killing me [8)]

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
Youngest owner?

If w140gill was 22 when he bought his, I guess I have him beat.

I'm 20 and bought my 500 2 months ago, but I bought my Porsche when I was 18.

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Youngest owner?

If w140gill was 22 when he bought his, I guess I have him beat.

I'm 20 and bought my 500 2 months ago, but I bought my Porsche when I was 18.
How do you afford the insurance on these cars?! I am 20 years old as well, and just drive a '92 Lexus ES300, and the insurance is absolutely killing me! The insurance on an ES300 is definitely a lot cheaper than the W140 (especially the 500 that you have), and yet I am still paying about $4000CAN a year for my insurance (about $3000US). If I owned a 500, I would probably be paying in the neighbourhood of $6000CAN a year (about $4500US).

The insurance rates in Ontario Canada have been soaring for the past 3 years. In fact, the rates have been going up about 30% a year! When I was 17, I owner a '93 Mazda MX-6 (which is more expensive to insure than my ES300 because it is classified as a sports car), and I was only paying $2200CAN a year--now that I am three years older, and with a cheaper car to insure, I am paying double the premium (and I have a perfect record)! It's not fair!

Also, I don't imagine that your fun little Porsche would be cheap on insurance either . . . luxury sports cars are the worst to insure, but at least the Porsche is older and not too powerful . . .

Are you purchasing your insurance under your parents' name? Or are they helping you out?

Insurance in Ontario sucks!!!
Well, that's my rant for today [}:)]

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By the way, I am going into my third year of University studies for Actuarial Science.

By the way, I am going into my third year of University studies for Actuarial Science.

What is Actuarial Science, you might ask?

Well, simply put, each major insurance company (COMPANY, not BROKER) has about 10-15 or so highly-paid professional Actuaries who ultimately decide whether to increase or decrease rates, and by how much. (In Ontario's case, it is almost always an INCREASE). This is all done by using complex Statistical Mathematics (and believe me, it's friggin' COMPLEX!)

I figure, as long as I am paying such hefty insurance premiums, I might as well work for the insurance companies that are making all this $$$ so that they can give it to me [:)] Hehe . . .

I am actually in a coop program, so I am working at an insurance Company right now as I write this [:)]

Regards,

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
Then you should know, anything considered as sport cars would be on the high list. Not to...

Then you should know, anything considered as sport cars would be on the high list. Not to mention the replacement cost if totaled. Yeah, yours sounded high all right. [8)]

1 - 20 of 389 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.