Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Something that is often overlooked are good habits. Moisture kills oil quickly. Starting a car to move it from the garage to driveway, or the like, then shutting it down without letting it fully warm up is bad news.

I once pulled a valve cover to do a valve lash adjustment. The underside of the cover was loaded with moisture. Probably at least a good ounce. Granted it was a humid day but imagine what the rest of the internals looked like. This water is mixed with the oil when the engine is running. If you don't allow it to get to full operating temperature and "boil off" it turns to sludge. After its transformation to that nasty slime, it's too late to try to remove the moisture. The horse is out of the gate and the damage is done.

My 2016 Cummins diesel takes about four gallons of oil. It has a 15k mile oil change interval. Or so I thought. The engineers want it changed at 15k miles OR 500 hours OR (and this is what kills me) 6 months!! Sitting oil is unhappy oil. Needless to say, I'm only getting about 3000 miles use of oil before changing. Four gallons!!!

I do have a waste oil burner so it does go to good use heating the shop.

On the other toys, one year for me regardless as I rarely drive any of my vehicles more than about 3k a year (some less than 500 miles). The truck is my daily transportation and I am retired so no long commutes here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It all comes down to psychology and what you place value on. In today's disposable society people just run their vehicles into the ground and throw it away and get a new one. I am one of the old school people that understand the physics of machines and how they work and fail. And it's not rocket science, people prefer clean water to drink rather than dirty. Well oil is to engines what water is to humans. You should see how dirty synthetic oil is after only 3k miles.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Burning gasoline creates just over a gallon of water in the combustion chamber (8.3 pounds of water from 5.7 pounds of gasoline) for every gallon of gasoline. Almost all of the water goes out the tailpipe - when the engine and exhaust system are hot. The moisture condenses in a cold engine and exhaust system - you may have seen water actually trickling out of the tailpipe after an engine has run for five minutes or so...

(You also get about 19 pounds of CO2 from each gallon of gasoline.)

·
Registered
937 Posts
In use every day , then i changed mine every 6 months .
But now she sits on the drive most days and only use it for shows once a month .I am now doing it once a year ..Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic ,.

·
W220 Moderator
5,520 Posts
In use every day , then i changed mine every 6 months .
But now she sits on the drive most days and only use it for shows once a month .I am now doing it once a year ..Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic ,.
Hi,

Personally I would be doing the exact opposite time frames, see @wallyp 's post above

HTH,

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
23 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing