Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how often most owners let their tops down during periods of good weather? Several times a day? If you are out making errands, etc., do you let the top up and down several times during the course of a day? Does frequent use sighnificantly increase the potential of malfunctions experienced? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
I always keep it down....when at home it sits in the garage, so the top stays down. At the grocery store I keep the top down and try to park it somewhere close so I can glance out the window and make sure it's ok[:D]...if it's going to be outside for a long time, though, I put the top up so as not to fade or crack the interior. But to answer your question, on average, i put the top up or down twice a day in good weather.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
depends where i leave the car parked and for how long. I'll leave the roof down in my office car park as its heavily protected, and everyone knows my car so if any stranger approaches they will know.
Some areas i would not leave the car parked with roof down.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I'm more interested to know "how often do you go down on the top" [:D]

umm... err... sorry 'bout that, a seconds reflex of madness struck me *erm*

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
Here in Florida,whenever the temperature drops in the day ,below 80 degrees,most nights,so about 3 times a day on average as I put it on when I park.
Adrian

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I put the top down 90%-95% of the time. When I park for more than a couple of minutes the top goes back up also depends what I am caryying in the passenger compartment. I have been known to run an errand on my way home- put the top up when I get where I am going and put it back down for the 5 minute drive back to the house.

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
I always have the top down. It's great. It's a real driving experience. Although I have found the best time to put the top down is when it's cloudy, at night, sundown or sunrise. Those are all the best times. I always tell people who don't have a convertible, the best time to have your top down is when you shouldn't i.e cloudy.

When it's too hot then I don't see the point, all I do is burn. [:D][:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Probably goes up and down a couple of times a day when I'm driving it. When I am running errands I lock my radar detector in the glove box with the key and lock the doors and trunk with the key fob and then leave the top down unless I am going to be a long time. At home I put the top up before I park in the garage. It can be windy here and I think the interior stays cleaner (less dusty) even when parked in the garage if I keep the top up. I too have wondered if the top has only x number of cycles before a failure and should I try to limit the cycles. I guess I have decided life is too short to worry about it, run it up and down as often as you feel like. It does help if there is a crowd nearby though, always puts a smile on my face [:)].

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
A Long Time ago, my first convertible was a 1966 MGB. I loved to drive with the top down, and it came with a tonneau cover over the seats. The neat thing was you could leave the cover over the passenger seat & drive, the heater on full, I drove it in icy conditions or during light rain (driving in the rain is fine as long as no redlights or stop signs).

Does anyone offer the same type cover for the SLK? If it had that cover, along with the heated seats, you could run the car in most any weather condition (except in extreme climates like the latest mustang convertible commercial, where the guy is found frozen at a redlight).[:D]

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
Top down at least once per day, sometimes twice. DA_SURG I am surprised you park as close as you can, I usually park far away, or else I will get door dings at any opportunity. Inconsiderate bastards!

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
136 Posts
Im paradoid about leaving the top down in public parking areas so I constantly put it up and down. I dont mind as I just love the looks you get from folks that stop to watch it happen. I too think it has a limited amout of use before it needs repairs but when that happens ...I'll fix it.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
okieslk - 4/12/2005 10:06 AM

Top down at least once per day, sometimes twice. DA_SURG I am surprised you park as close as you can, I usually park far away, or else I will get door dings at any opportunity. Inconsiderate bastards!
Yeah, well I figure it's just a car, as much as I love it and hate to have a ding or scratch (I dont have any yet[}:)]) *knock on wood*. I hate parking in the back of parking lots and walking really far, especially if I'm only going in for a couple minutes. I won't park in a really tight spot or next to really sloppy, rusty, old cars or huge pickups, but otherwise, I try to park as close as possible. Another thing I've noticed is that people always cut across the back of parking lots instead of going up and down the rows, so that might even bring the chance of more serious damage. Well, just my thoughts and habits....[:D]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
fuck my roof

the thing is my roof needs to actually work in order for me to put it down. I went to pickup my car form the dealer this morning after they have fixed my roof 3 times now he pulls it around I try the roof no go. Boy did he feel like a jerk. im like well I will be taking this c230 for another romping test drive lol. my car is back in the shop. they said with the paper trail on my roof mercedes might step in and really handel the problem. that would be nice yea?

Ive fixed the damn thing 2 or 3 times myself they have fixed it 3 times 4 now. GAY! GAY! GAY!

so yea I'll have my roof open when it fucking works right.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The roof goes down in the morning when I go to work...

and goes up when I get there. It comes back down when I go home. If I stop somewhere, it goes back up. On the average the thing goes up and down between two and three times a day. I never leave it down if the car is parked anywhere, I rarely leave it up while driving.
No sense haveing a convertable if the roof is up... [;)]

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
The roof is the main reason I bought an extended warranty. I plan on putting it up whenever I park, so that can be several times a day, and I feel really good knowing it is covered under warranty for 5 more years. [:D]

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
RE: fuck my roof

DEATHERAGE - 4/12/2005 1:24 PM

the thing is my roof needs to actually work in order for me to put it down. I went to pickup my car form the dealer this morning after they have fixed my roof 3 times now he pulls it around I try the roof no go. Boy did he feel like a jerk. im like well I will be taking this c230 for another romping test drive lol. my car is back in the shop. they said with the paper trail on my roof mercedes might step in and really handel the problem. that would be nice yea?

Ive fixed the damn thing 2 or 3 times myself they have fixed it 3 times 4 now. GAY! GAY! GAY!

so yea I'll have my roof open when it fucking works right.
Deathy, understand your frustration but do you have to use the word gay as a derogatory term, please curb it. Noticed it in another post also but once asking here should be enough :)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
The top goes down in morning, the top goes up at night. The top goes down when ever I show or want to take a flight. The top stays up because it rains or when I suds my whip, but then I put it down again, it makes me feel real hip.

The top stays up because I race, in case I take a toss, without my head my shoulders would be in such a fucking loss. The top stays down at mini marts and my personals all get locked, the windows are up, the alarm is on and yes my gun is cocked.

The top goes up at super stores when I think that I’ll be long, the risk is high, the car is nice and windows aren’t that strong.

I think I made it pretty clear, I hope I’m not to bold, there’s another time my top is up, that’s when its just to cold.
[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK-230
12 Posts
I would say on a good day top down while driving, but top up when I go in places for an extended amount of time. But if I am in and out...I leave it down. [8D]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts