Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have come to the realization that my S55 is the exact same as Schrödinger's Cat made popular by The Big Band Theory.
So technically the S55 is either a live or dead will not know till you open the box or in my case drop the engine in. The reason I am comparing to the cat is because I do not know if I made the right choice on which engine to build, if it was done correctly etc.

The progress has been very slow on building this engine back up. I have had to double and triple check a few things, forgot how a couple parts went back on( minor parts external) sure glad I took pictures.

The work done on the car has been very sporadic meaning have not had a solid amount of time to just work on it. It has been a hour here, 20 minutes here and so on.

So as of right now here is what has been done
Engine bay cleaned
Heads installed
Cams/rocker arm installed(this was a pain in the A**)
Timing cover installed
Both oil pans
Supercharger tensionor
Water pump pulley
Harmonic dampener Still needs torqued to spec
Valve covers
Cam sensor
Crank Sensor
Dipstick tube
Oil filter housing
Timing Chain tensor

I gave up on the making sure everything is painted and reinstalled. This car should have been pronounced dead or alive months ago.

I have spun the engine over a few times and it spins very nice.

Here is a very important note if you ever have the timing cover off make sure that when you install it the crankshaft is up. Top of the pistons are pointing down. I had a friend help us install the cover, had the cover on and the heads torqued to spec. Went to install the cam sprockets and found out that the chain ended up below the the timing cover. So the timing cover had to come off. Much more challenging to put the timing cover on with the heads on.
The one good thing was I was able to spin the engine the 14 time to make sure all the alignment links of the chain went back to the proper position

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wishing you a smooth fire up with no issues !!
I am planning to finish up all the accessories and intake tomorrow, then get the engine in the car Saturday.

For someone that is pretty much retired I do not have any time.

I have double/tripled checked everything so I am hopping for a smooth easy start up without any issues. My track record for things going easy right out of the gate is not the greatest so we will see.

I am going to start for the first time with no drive belts. I do not need the first start up trying to lift the car and run all kinds accessories right off the get go.
Figure I will run it for a few minutes then shut it down and install the belts. Then run it for a while.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
As a nuclear engineer, the comparison of your project car to Schrödinger's Cat just made me laugh a bit of coffee onto my laptop. Good luck on the project - remember - your car will survive in at least one parallel universe!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a nuclear engineer, the comparison of your project car to Schrödinger's Cat just made me laugh a bit of coffee onto my laptop. Good luck on the project - remember - your car will survive in at least one parallel universe!
Me I just watch too much Big Bang Theory, but it is very true the car is both a great car and a pile of crap.

So if it is a good car in at least one parallel universe how do I get there LOL

Sorry about the coffee and thanks for the encouraging words

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine ready to install

So the engine is complete and ready to go in. Everything is torqued, wired, sealed to drop in. I spun the engine around so I have the flywheel lined up with the torque convertor bolts at the bottom, this thing has compression.

It was real fun getting the harmonic dampener torqued on. The 200 MN plus the 90º the 90º is the tough one, but it is done.

So all OEM bolts, gaskets, seals and sealant I am hopping for a smooth start up. I was going to paint all the used parts but it would delay this even more, so I changed my mind. They are cleaned which was nice because I stayed pretty clean assembling the external parts.

Just have one thing left before it goes in and that is the transmission front seal. There is easy access so for $15 it is being replaced.

Hope to have it in tomorrow or on the weekend

Sorry about the pictures all from the iPhone.
IMG_2736.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2737.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2738.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2739.JPG.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts