Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 U.S. spec. 560SEC. Black over black. 54,000 documented miles all service records. Original owner. Every option includind ASR & power sunshade. No rust or dents.

Entire car has been badly keyed. sunroof, power windows don't work at all. All fuses replaced. Engine frozen will not turn over. Parked for 2 years. Trans worked in reverse only at that time. No mods at all. Has been stored in garage.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I assume Mr. T is putting forward a hypothetical car – use the pics of the mind. I’d wonder how such a low miles car came up with a bad tranny and frozen engine. [?]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I sold this guy a boat. I had misplaced a whole big box of spare parts at the time of sale. I found the box today, and dropped it off. The car was in his garage,. He's on to boats and told me to make him an offer, but I don't want to insult him. Could be a real money pit, but I'm tempted.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
In that case...

In my opinion a car like that is practically worthless – I’d offer $1000 – if he takes it as an insult tell him the engine work and proper paint job alone could cost $8000. He’d be better off to part it out.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JDC - You may be on the money. This guy is a really odd duck. Lives on a very exclusive lake. Huge beautiful home, but the wooden shake shingles are missing from alot of the roof, needs a total paint job, the landscaping looks like something out of the African jungle. To top it off, he's got a two tone burgandy and black Clenet in his driveway with 3 rotted flat tires on it. All pitted chrome. He says it hasn't moved since the 80's. If you don't know what a Clenet is, think a refined more expensive Excalibur. Not everyone's cup of tea, but certainly not disposable. Sort of makes me sorry he bought my boat.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
MRTIKKET - 3/17/2005 10:07 PM

1991 U.S. spec. 560SEC. Black over black. 54,000 documented miles all service records. Original owner. Every option includind ASR & power sunshade. No rust or dents.

Entire car has been badly keyed. sunroof, power windows don't work at all. All fuses replaced. Engine frozen will not turn over. Parked for 2 years. Trans worked in reverse only at that time. No mods at all. Has been stored in garage.
The first part of the description sounds like a beauty. Not too fond of ASR, but its not too bad.

A car with the above description thats been babied and taken care of would have a value of around $14k if its truely mint and 100% original.

Sunroof not working could be a minor fix, but chances are its a difficult one that could cost as much as $2k to fix.

Power windows.. could be as simple as fuse or switches. Since fuses where replaced... I'd look into switches being dirty.

Engine not turning over... that sounds bad. A new rebuilt engine would cost around $5-6k.

Trans working in reverse only... could be a busted B2 ring that is roughly a $200 fix, or could require a full rebuilt ~$1500.

Paint job.. since its badly keyed, most likely requires a complete paint job. A good one costs roughly $5000.

$5500+2000+1500+$50+5000 = $14,050 in estimated work RIGHT OFF HAND. So with that said, that 54,000 mile car is worthless as a car... and should only be considered as a parts car. Sad to hear of a car neglected like that.[B)]

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
Can't argue with Snibble's analysis. It looks like an entirely reasonable estimate, and that is before you uncover any unknowns (rust, suspension, AC, trunk leaks, etc.).

I read something rather amusing the other day. Someone was talking abut the value of classic Ferrari's and made the point that you could take a perfectly good late 50s Testarossa and run the car at full speed into a brick wall, virtually destroying the car, without materially affecting the value of the car.
I think it means people are paying for the exclusivity of the rare, genuine, Ferrari. Totally separate from any consideration of replacement/rebuilding/Restoration cost.

Unfortunately, that will never happen to our w126s.[V]
Market value will be very closely tied to replacement/refurbish costs

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
janos_z - 3/18/2005 11:20 PM

so i went and looked up clenet. below is a picture of monsieur clenet with one of his series I cars. in case anyone was curious.
Nice Clenet. The one in disrepair is much newer, 1982 Much larger and more refined. He offered to sell me the SEC today for $5,000. I laughed. Told him I'd tow away the SEC and the Clenet for $5,000. Said he'd get back to me. You are all pretty correct, as I'd be loosing money if I got the SEC for $1,000.

·
Registered
97 Ford Scorpio Cosworth
702 Posts
MRTIKKET - 3/19/2005 3:09 AM

janos_z - 3/18/2005 11:20 PM

so i went and looked up clenet. below is a picture of monsieur clenet with one of his series I cars. in case anyone was curious.
Nice Clenet. The one in disrepair is much newer, 1982 Much larger and more refined. He offered to sell me the SEC today for $5,000. I laughed. Told him I'd tow away the SEC and the Clenet for $5,000. Said he'd get back to me. You are all pretty correct, as I'd be loosing money if I got the SEC for $1,000.

say NO to drugs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts