Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a SL, after driving my brother friend 500. I realized how many girls look at me because I'm only 19 and driving an SL. Well, I drove Mercedes Benz all my life because all my family od is own Benz. Well, I'm looking into these two model, and can someone tell me the difference between each years for both models. I went to a dealer, and saw an SL500 with 50k miles for around $24,000. Is that a good or bad deal? Also, I took a test ride in the 600 and all I have is one word "Fabulous"! So, I'm planning to look for older models because they're cheaper. Any ideas or anyone selling theirs for under $30,000?

·
Registered
C280,500SL,Ferraris
11 Posts
I-Drive-Benz: SL500/600

Hi. I bought my 1992 500 SL brand new. I never purchased a used MB; so, I don't know whether or not your target car is within the price range you mentioned in your email. I recommend you look into the Blue Book to find the price range.

My experiences with my 500 SL has been extrememly positive. She is one of my daily drivers; she is fast and reliable and lots of fun to drive. My other daily driver is a C280, and she is also a great car. Weekend drivers are my Ferraris: 328 GTS and 512 TR.

As with any used car, you should get a mechanic to check her out. Remember, your target car is between 5 - 10 years old, so beware that mechanical operations and parts begin to show wear in the older years -- this could lead to high expenses. Make sure the previous owner respected the maintenance schedules.

Although the SL is not a high-visibility profile car like a Ferrari, expect public attention -- after all, you are driving one of MB's flagship cars, and you are young.

If you are working and are expecting advancement through your company, I recommend that you don't let your manager see you in her -- people get jealous of nice things and so will your friends/social circle -- be careful of vandalism.

When I was 19 years old, my parents bought me a brand new 1983 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. I never let people at work see me in her. People in my social/college circle also were jealous, so I made sure I was careful not to bring attention to her.

When I was 24 years old, I bought my first Ferrari. People at work never saw me in her.

Kid, you and I have the fortunate experience in that we drove some shit-hot exclusive cars at a youthful age -- it's one of the best experiences you will have -- so enjoy it, be safe, and keep a low profile at work.

Keep me posted with your purchase -- Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG! Are you the oracle from teh matrix or what? I've found out that you're my previous ...

OMG! Are you the oracle from teh matrix or what? I've found out that you're my previous life or something because I ade a promise to my self that I will buy any ferrari before I hit 25. And yes, I do feel the jealousy of my friends when I drive my brother 02 S500. Also, I've been driving my dad 86 SL380 and I'm seem to like the feeling driving in a classic. It's very fortunate for both of us to be having the same ambition and was honor to drive such fabulous cars at such a young age.

I will get my SL500 maybe sometimes next month. I have my brother to help me out with some of the payment, but it's will be all right. I've went to the dealer, and found a 95 SL500 with 46k miles. It's going for $26,000. I think I should be able and bring it down to $23,500. Just hoping that nobody will buy it before me. And I'm looking forward to hearing more stories of you with the Ferraris. Also where are you located? I'm sure your children is excited about those cars you've owned.

·
Registered
C280,500SL,Ferraris
11 Posts
Thanks, but no...

Hello, I-Drive-Benz. When I read your post, you reminded me about me when I was your age, 20 years ago, August 2.

I WISH I was the Oracle from the Matrix -- great flick, huh? When you get your Ferrari, especially at 25 years old, you will really have lots of fun; however, a Ferrari at any age is lots of fun, too -- it's just real cool and unique experience to sport around in a Ferrari or MB when you are young.

I'm not married or have any children because they are not a priority for me now; and, my work requires lots of hours and travels from me. I date lots of women on my free time, but nothing serious. I live part-time in Los Angeles and New York, but my HQ is Atherton, California.

I wish I could give you advice regarding the price of your SL500 purchase, but it's beyond my expertise. All I can tell you is that they are beautiful cars, and you are really going to love her -- just get her checked out by a mechanic and check the Blue Book.

Jealousy is real dangerous -- be real careful -- don't let it deter or discourage you from your focus.

Keep me posted with your purchase. Email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
1993 sc400,1998sl500,1999cl500,2002 clk 55 AMG Cabriolet 2004 Cl600 Carlsson
79 Posts
sl 500

Good price on these cars depends on many factors.How frequent they have been maintained.Remember this a car with 100k in 5yrs maybe better than a car with 30k in 10yrs.A car that is not driven generally with cracked gasket dry seals alot of things go wrong to cars if there not driven.So buyer beware.If maintained on schedule these cars are built to last. Also remember these cars cost 90k and up and while you may get a good price your up keep will be at that 90k vehical price. I have a sl500 98 for sale if ur intrested e-m me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi I-Drive-Benz I cant' advise you about second hand prices as I'm in Italy so prices here tend to be far lower than in the US where I think you arte located but as read loads of times on the forum seems that the common opinion is that the SL 600 tendes to be more expensive to maintain and if things go wrong compared to the SL 500. Of course the 600 is goves you smoother and more powerful feelings as only a 12 cylinders can give you as Oracle can certanly comfirm owing a 12 cylinder Maranello Beauty (The Ferrari 512 TR) but SL 500 will be easier on your pocket.
Also 1998 cars are teh last facelifted ones and they are almost perfect.

Good luck on your hunting

Cheers.

·
Registered
1997 SL600
203 Posts
I wouldn't even pay 23,5 for a 95 500. I'd sell you my 97 sl600 for that price. a 95 500 should be below 20 I think.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Oooops..........I didn't even look at the date... damn now I DO feel dumb lol....

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts