Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,546 Posts
^Exactly. That is why I endorse and encourage to buy original MB parts whenever possible.

If everyone (like some on this board) becomes a Kmart blue light shopper then MB has zero incentive to even give us the time of day.
Ah yes, the stay in the abusive relationship theory. Is that why YOU DONT EVEN OWN A W124?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
Ah yes, the stay in the abusive relationship theory. Is that why YOU DONT EVEN OWN A W124?
Another false baseless claim from the usual suspect. You must be related to the orange pumpkin in the White House.

If you despise the MB dealership so much, why do you even drive a MB?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
84 Posts
I purchased my 1994 E320 in the fall of 2019 for $5K. It was sitting in a barn since 2010 without much use. Until then, it had been maintained at
the local Mercedes dealer. I was able to go to them and get the maintenance records on it.

Thus far, I now have over $10K in it. My mechanic said that it will be very collectible in four years. But how collectible? It only has 149K on the engine.
Thus far, I have repaired the cruise control, the oil monitor control, repaired two oil leaks and three transmission leaks along with replacing
the mirror and the antenna which was ripped off going through a car wash? I also had to replace the a/c motor and the fan.

I am wondering how much more I can replace? My mechanic said the the cover that I believe sits over the valves is rusted. Luckily he has one
from an engine he purchased for his 1982 300TD that he can use in my car.

It handles beautifully. But question, how much you would spend to drive one? I am actually the second owner as the second owner just had it
for a month when he sold it to me. His story was that the got a new job and was driving over 600 miles per day and needed a more efficient car.
He purchased a used Toyota Prius.
You’ve probably already spent enough. If anything I would expect prices to go lower. These are not rare cars by any means and a 1994 is too old to be desirable as a daily driver

·
Registered
1994 E500
30 Posts
Winner #1 E60, 500E-E500, AMG Coupe, AMG Wagon, then AMG Sedan.
#2 convertibles (if in great condition)
#3 coupes ^ ditto ^
#4 wagons ( cult following )
#5 diesels (again a cult following)
#6 sedans gas ( 400E )
#6 sedans (all others) you car is at the bottom. But it a great underappreciated car! Drive and enjoy! $3000-really good $5000 like new. Most will be below $3000 though. The Hard truth.

When I was a car dealer diesels sold quick. I have two people come look at a 87 wagon diesel at once!

I think that's a USA thing. I believe in Europe they're a dime a dozen.... Old man's car
Pretty much this. That market-driven hierarchy has been in place for a number of years now. I wouldn't expect it to change.

Look at it like this: you own a nice painting you really like by a largely unknown and under-appreciated artist. It's not worth much in the secondary market. You keep it because you like it, and you believe it has value. Maybe people don't see this value today, and maybe they never will, but in the meantime, who cares: you're enjoying the painting.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,869 Posts
If its a really nice one then it MIGHT be worth $5000 to the right buyer and that's including the Radwood tax which seems to have helped with the nominal bump in these cars over the past few years.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,027 Posts
In my area I know of a 95 E320 cream puff w/95k miles, properly maintained (HG/wiring harness) that can be bought for around $6k. It's been forsale for months. In 4 years as mentioned above finding someone to work on these and parts availability will only going get worse. For those who rely on local shops for all repairs one can get buried in costs as the OP in a short time. DIY is the only answer now and in the future.

Reactions: 260e crusier

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,024 Posts
Parts will be getting scarce also. Don't see that many W124s at P&P anymore.

Lots of W210s and lately lots of W203s......I would sell my 2005 W203 in immaculate condition with less than 40k miles, but the KBB value is only about $5,000 now 😪

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
They simply made too many of the darn things. After all, the W124 was the German version to the Ford Crown Vic. Unless it is something special, at a minimum a 500E/E500 or rarer they will keep depreciating and parts will keep getting harder to come by due to the age factor.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,463 Posts
The actual market for these base models is low. However, if an enthusiast has taken the time to rehab/sort the car, that's worth a premium in my estimation. But even with that, did he use URO type crap because he's flipping or because things are NLA.....

I think you have to ask a hundred questions before you purchase, do a PPI, look @CarFax......hopefully sort through a pile of service records etc.

In all honesty, this will cease to be a fun hobby if we're reduced to only Chinese clone parts. You'd have to think at some point, attrition will reduce the number of cars made and they will therefore become collectable. But that's gonna be way past my life span. And then if the majority of cars go electric and cities mandate so....then what? Special permits for gasoline only? This is a dark time methinks......

Kevin

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,024 Posts
LOL............I've moved on to W210s. Lots more room, will pass smog without any problems, very easy to work on, CC that works and with Silverstar Ultra bulbs...........I can actually see where I'm going at night!

I do miss the (y)(y)(y) I use to get all the time even with my lowly 260E.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts