Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 1994 E320 in the fall of 2019 for $5K. It was sitting in a barn since 2010 without much use. Until then, it had been maintained at
the local Mercedes dealer. I was able to go to them and get the maintenance records on it.

Thus far, I now have over $10K in it. My mechanic said that it will be very collectible in four years. But how collectible? It only has 149K on the engine.
Thus far, I have repaired the cruise control, the oil monitor control, repaired two oil leaks and three transmission leaks along with replacing
the mirror and the antenna which was ripped off going through a car wash? I also had to replace the a/c motor and the fan.

I am wondering how much more I can replace? My mechanic said the the cover that I believe sits over the valves is rusted. Luckily he has one
from an engine he purchased for his 1982 300TD that he can use in my car.

It handles beautifully. But question, how much you would spend to drive one? I am actually the second owner as the second owner just had it
for a month when he sold it to me. His story was that the got a new job and was driving over 600 miles per day and needed a more efficient car.
He purchased a used Toyota Prius.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I personally don’t see monetary values for a bread and butter 320’s going anywhere... For the rest of time... As gixxer states at that mileage you are outside of the ‘new in box’ collectors, meaning that its value is not in dollars but in smiles.

Don’t expect to make your money back, but you can have confidence that you’ll be able to your well maintained machine for years to come!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more info... is the E320 a sedan, wagon, coupe, or cabriolet? With 150kmi, it's not really on the radar for collectors any more. Have any photos?
Need more info... is the E320 a sedan, wagon, coupe, or cabriolet? With 150kmi, it's not really on the radar for collectors any more. Have any photos?
It is a 4-door sedan. My mechanic said it will be collectible.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,025 Posts
It is a 4-door sedan. My mechanic said it will be collectible.
He has a vested interest in keeping your car in "collectible" condition.

Unless it's a "10" ..............I don't think you can even get your $5000 back.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,025 Posts
I am wondering how much more I can replace? My mechanic said the the cover that I believe sits over the valves is rusted. Luckily he has one
Interesting..............I believe the valve cover on a 1994 E320 is made of magnesium or aluminum alloy, which doesn't rust. For sure, a valve cover from a 1982 300TD is not interchangeable with the one on your car.

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,519 Posts
If you are not going to work on the car yourself you probably need to sell it. You have 15K in it already and still you are planning to fix more things. Let's see, over 9 months you have spent 15,000. If I could do math like I used to I would know how much per month I could have had for a car payment. Then you would know what kind of a nice Honda (or Tesla) you could be driving right now. The only thing you are saving on by driving that old car is insurance; just like the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,744 Posts
Winner #1 E60, 500E-E500, AMG Coupe, AMG Wagon, then AMG Sedan.
#2 convertibles (if in great condition)
#3 coupes ^ ditto ^
#4 wagons ( cult following )
#5 diesels (again a cult following)
#6 sedans gas ( 400E )
#6 sedans (all others) you car is at the bottom. But it a great underappreciated car! Drive and enjoy! $3000-really good $5000 like new. Most will be below $3000 though. The Hard truth.

When I was a car dealer diesels sold quick. I have two people come look at a 87 wagon diesel at once!

I think that's a USA thing. I believe in Europe they're a dime a dozen.... Old man's car

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,744 Posts
The W123s have a following and they are considered "classics" but they're also diesel coupes,wagons, and sedans.

When's the last time somebody drooled over a w123 280e? I'm not saying there's really cool ones out there but a regular 280? More went back to the Earth just like countless W124 sedans. Last time I was at the pick my part I saw 5 124s and one was a coupe!:cry: but I got a extra pair of side mirrors with GREAT rubbers of of it! The dang trunk was still locked...who knows what was inside! Original tools and jack?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
...My mechanic said that it will be very collectible in four years. But how collectible?...

...My mechanic said the the cover that I believe sits over the valves is rusted. Luckily he has one
Unless it is a 500E/E500 or one of the rare AMG derivatives, the 4 door sedans are the least desirable.

And your "mechanic" is probably more experienced in Briggs&Stratton and smoking something he shouldn't be if he thinks the valve cover from a prior gen single cam 5 cylinder diesel is going to fit on your twin cam 6 cylinder gasoline engine.

·
Registered
W124
5,232 Posts
Some points for consideration:
  • ask your mechanic to show you HIS collection
  • if these cars - and diesels especially - were going to be collectible, you would see investment quality resale values on w123 diesels - you don't. You don't see it on ANY four door Mercedes other than the limited editions or those over fifty years of age.
  • look at your W124 as an investment in safety, durability, and excellent cost per mile (if on friendly terms with the former owner, have him give you his/her cost per mile so far - and make sure to factor in the price of the car).
And by the way, 600 miles a day is 10-12 hours of highway driving so what does he/she do for an actual living?

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,519 Posts
As for the worth of this car, if you keep fixing it up then it should increase in value from where you started about 25%-50% if I had to guess. What I mean by that is that it was probably worth about 1,000 to 2,000 when you bought it based on all the work you have done. And if you fix it up and keep it well maintained then it should be worth somewhere around 1,500 to 3,000 in 4 years on craigslist.

Of course I'm going to keep driving the hell out of mine and fixing it when it needs something. My guess it that my insurance company would try to give me about 2,500 for it now; it is worth a heck of a lot more than that to me though.

So, how much will it be worth to who?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for the worth of this car, if you keep fixing it up then it should increase in value from where you started about 25%-50% if I had to guess. What I mean by that is that it was probably worth about 1,000 to 2,000 when you bought it based on all the work you have done. And if you fix it up and keep it well maintained then it should be worth somewhere around 1,500 to 3,000 in 4 years on craigslist.

Of course I'm going to keep driving the hell out of mine and fixing it when it needs something. My guess it that my insurance company would try to give me about 2,500 for it now; it is worth a heck of a lot more than that to me though.

So, how much will it be worth to who?
Sam, I paid $5K for it! Now I have 10K in it. I will just drive it until I pass from this world and leave it
in good shape to my family.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some points for consideration:
  • ask your mechanic to show you HIS collection
  • if these cars - and diesels especially - were going to be collectible, you would see investment quality resale values on w123 diesels - you don't. You don't see it on ANY four door Mercedes other than the limited editions or those over fifty years of age.
  • look at your W124 as an investment in safety, durability, and excellent cost per mile (if on friendly terms with the former owner, have him give you his/her cost per mile so far - and make sure to factor in the price of the car).
And by the way, 600 miles a day is 10-12 hours of highway driving so what does he/she do for an actual living?
I do not see the seller anymore. My mechanic has a 1982 300D.

·
Registered
1995 E320, 1995 E420
324 Posts
Probably 5k, basically what you paid for it. The 10k that you have in it means that you have a reliable car and addition to your Mechanic’s slush fund so that he can buy a real collectible w124.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
^Exactly. That is why I endorse and encourage to buy original MB parts whenever possible.

If everyone (like some on this board) becomes a Kmart blue light shopper then MB has zero incentive to even give us the time of day.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I see fewer W124s at Pick & Pull now. Are there NLA or certain parts I should be pulling?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts