Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'79 280e
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 280e with paint thats getting quite faded. I would very much like to get it redone.. but I know there are already about 2 layers on the car. In fact, the later paint seems to be in much worse quality than the earlier paint... the original mb paint shines underneath whatever cheap coat was applied years later.. given all this, would it neee to be stripped bare before adding new paint? I dont know how that works and do you have any experience with such processes? How much should I be looking at to spend, and does anybody know any good people in the L.A. area?? Thanks!

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
I would say tops... 1500 bucks

Thats how much the last owner paid for a good paint job on my Audi 4000, the paint has held up pretty well. A DIY paint job is very time consuming and messy, hence the high price.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
You need to at least strip it down to the original paint. You don't want the bad paint to ...

You need to at least strip it down to the original paint. You don't want the bad paint to cause you trouble again. Sanding may be your best bet but don't DIY unless you know what grades and tools to use.
I used to know a shop in Downey, CA that did excellent work but their jobs averaged around $5K! And this was about 6 years ago...

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
A big impediment to a DIY paint job is the need for
a baking room, or a spacesuit for to...

A big impediment to a DIY paint job is the need for
a baking room, or a spacesuit for toxic paints. The two ways to get a durable paint job.

I have at least two paint jobs planned, will definately do most of the prep, but am on the fence about forking over the $$ for the needed space suit with air supply to be able to do the color coats.
No space suit means paying someone else to spray the color.
John Gregg

·
Registered
'79 280e
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for all the info guys! Yea about 1500 or so sounds about what I normally seem to hear. Oh well looks like my car will have to stay faded, for a bit longer.. wow 5k, thats steep, about twice what I payed for the car! but if I had the money I would probably go for the best.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
sometimes the car can be rubbed out then carnaba waxed. I only use the pure carnaba wax, s...

sometimes the car can be rubbed out then carnaba waxed. I only use the pure carnaba wax, so painting it later will not be a nightmare.
John Gregg

·
Registered
s500- 300td
92 Posts
It really depends on the use of the car, I have an 82 300td and just painted, I think it i...

It really depends on the use of the car, I have an 82 300td and just painted, I think it is even the same color as your the paint was peeling before, I went to one of the hole places in la that does a good job. I spent $400, I went to another place and was told $2400. I paid half of that for my car. check out the car in the gallary. car looks great now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.