Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 e500 was making a lot of noise. Took to independent and said both front ball joints need to be replaced.

How much is a fair amount to change them? I think the indi might want like $600 installed for both OEM ball joints. To me sounds like a lot of money. What do you think good deal? Ive been going to him for a long time he told me thats a VERY fair price.

·
Purple Moderator
21,694 Posts
If it is the bottom ones I would get the Lemforder units and do it. They are about $60 a pair and seem to be as good as OEM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to pick it up. Got charged $500 for both lower ball joints. He wanted $550 talked him down to 500. not that great of a deal but they were OEM.

·
Registered
553 Posts
OEM? People need to know that Mercedes doesn't make these components. They are made FOR Mercedes by different companies like Meyle, Lemförder etc.

·
Banned
932 Posts
Yes but MB pay premium price to have them in a box that says MB and passes the cost to his costumers and some parts are not available outside the dealership. OEM ball joint was updated by MB because of so many premature replacements, but can you warranty that every company that sell ball joints for MB has them updated beside the OEM suppliers.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Yes but MB pay premium price to have them in a box that says MB and passes the cost to his costumers and some parts are not available outside the dealership. OEM ball joint was updated by MB because of so many premature replacements, but can you warranty that every company that sell ball joints for MB has them updated beside the OEM suppliers.
MB does not pay a premium to have them in a box that says MB. Believe me. I Know !!
And to those who think that aftermarket parts made by the same OE manufacturer are ones that did not pass the MB specifications, well, think again. Modern manufacturing methods do not produce a significant amount of rejects; otherwise you're not in the game. If you can find out who makes the OE parts and you find the same parts at a store then buy them with confidence because they are the same as the OE parts.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I am talking about companies that are not OEM suppliers (read my post). Friend of mine bought full suspension kit for 5 series that last 13000 miles.
In addition, what makes you think that the part price is same for the same part made by same company if is in OEM supplier box vs. MB box, just add the VAT taxes and on next counter price is up? They have to make profit somehow.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I read your post, a 30 cent box does not justify a 50 to 300% increase in the price of the same component made by the same company.
The other comment regarding specs was meant to answer other posts not yours
But may be I didn't understand what you were trying to say, oh well isstay, I still think you're a great guy.

·
Banned
932 Posts
I am just happy that States don't have VAT.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts