Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank all of my friends here in benzworld (again) for their support. Picked up '03 350 Inspiration today. Nice so far, but noticed the 'low range' flash X3 when I cranked the 2nd time. Will attend to when convenient.
Next order of business is my beloved 55.
with a kid, busy work schedule, & my back-up Camry long term loaned out to family, this dollar question just didn't make scents.
An engine swap would be a deep, dark nightmare that time doesn't afford me.
A rebuild is out of the question due to horrible timing.
Per my indy's estimate of 20-35 labor hours plus parts, it is untenable for it to remain in my household.
Ballpark I have an idea, but wanted to seek more expert council on this one.
Aside from block work, she does need:
Tranny fluid change
13 pin connector
FM Radio fuse-located in rear latch
D-pillar window plastic clip for window 3 functionality on her port side
sunroof track control arm
& a brake light switch--was going to do when this weekend! ha!
She has slightly over 115k.

I will upload pics displaying insides and out.
I ask for your honest (guess)-timate answers before I officially post F/S.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,796 Posts
You are not going to get hardly anything. It is worth more in parts. Most crippled MLs
go for under $2000. The 55s have an advantage as a parts vehicle. The interior, wheels,
and spare tire tire will fetch more than the whole truck. Then you have the hood, bumper
headlights, and fog lamps.
I feel terrible this has happened to you.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
oreif,

I don't know what to say; it's all very sad that this had to happen to your ML55.

The good thing I suppose is that with your new ML350 Inspiration (Nice!) you'll still frequent the Forum.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for the gruff pics. this is at my indy's as I emptied her out today on the way home.
I might retain my AMG wheels/tires & switch out with Inspiration.
Just spent a bit on new tread for the upcoming southern winter a few months back. Bad idea?

On a brighter(?) note, here is my 350.
Just drove up & took these. I'll probably put these inspirations on the 55 for the sale. They have some scuffs, with 1 rim of 4 being the worst. no deep scars, bends or indentations that I can tell.
Michelins seem to have little wear; don't even know size because of this busy day.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are not going to get hardly anything. It is worth more in parts. Most crippled MLs
go for under $2000. The 55s have an advantage as a parts vehicle. The interior, wheels,
and spare tire tire will fetch more than the whole truck. Then you have the hood, bumper
headlights, and fog lamps.
I feel terrible this has happened to you.
Old adage being 'sum of the parts is greater...' I'm somewhat informed of this sad fact since a member here had to literally skeleton a 55 last year. My Econ professors would be proud! Assuming I can find the time I would regretfully do the same. But I have imposed a timeline on myself. I will research shipping, packaging issues. Respect your honest estimate however.
I know I'll take a bath on her, I know she'll make me drown, I just don't want to die by sharks:surrender:

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
so you are saving money by buying a ml350? Isn't it just as much a liability? If anything fixing your ml55 would make it less likely to bite the dust than a different ML statistically speaking. No makey sense to me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pdx, I understand your viewpoint. I'm in a hole to be sure. brakes & oil last Oct., after a belt malfunction, tires, + a new oil cooler, B service this go around. I get in her & she lit up like a Xmas tree & top end noises like I've never heard before. Saving? yes/no--e.g. mixed bag. For what I could fix the block on her, I bought a 350. Newer, but digging in service records now to know my future fate with this lambastical disaster. also, my spair car is outsourced, my wife & kid have to eat. this thing is my daily driver. I balance life on a pendulum. Life teaches ((most) that aren't the wealthy)) of us you have money OR time. I'll ask but sure of answer. If you have 1 I bet you do not have the luxury of the other at that same moment. A top end rebuild is my want, but not my immediate need. Many members have these as fun weekenders. I sir am not that fortunate in life. In short, I'm poor & have run out of patience and time dealing with it.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,384 Posts
Hold on, Oreif. Keep your wits about you.

If you don't have the $$$ to fix your ML55, simply pull it off the road and store it someplace until you're ready to get it fixed. It looks really good from what I can see of it. For the pocket change you'd get selling it, just store it.

My belief is that a 'specialty' Mercedes, such as anything AMG is, will always be valuable.

Think about it. YOU have options. Consider them all. It's much easier to sell for peanuts than it is to buy when you want to. And you know the ML55 is a better SUV than the 164-body ML63.

Good luck, either way you go.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Gosh that really sucks. I think going slow and really thinking it through is a good plan. You will realize more value fixing it up I think if you have time to efficiently fix it. However sometimes you need to turn a page and just move on. I think you'll get $3k on craiglist, max as is. Anyway - sorry your ml55 turned out to be such a Friday car.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
stryker, you strike a cord, ha! pixie grease has valued points as well. I want to so bad, but, as before, it's untenable for me at this time. it's the business model in my head. gentleman, I've moved heaven and hell in 36 hours...& I'm not wealthy. I swiped a card, got in her & 'knew' she was 'gone'. blame game..that's another thread. Bought a replacer, got it on the ground, in my color & options with the drop of a cell call. V6 yes. Lest ye forget, I still have a clk 55. I don't want to shell her out. I love this stupid truck. I love her so much I want her to go to a good home where she can be the AMG she was built to be. Not by my hand any longer. After I get college $ figured out, I'll get another! probably a dredded w164 63. But it is what it really 'is'. Year was 1610; the battle of Hastings...'live to fight another day'.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to bottom line this...I'm doing what I have to do. My daughter is of more value than my 55 or clk. As a whole, 2-3k range is what I've been recommended. For that I'll keep my rims/tires but honestly want to solicit the idea of a good home for a project or parts car for another person. I can give/take and be moderated. Certainly not a rosey figure but, if so, I'll eat my pie & learn to like it.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
ml55 engine $5500
ml55 engine $6400

Did your ml350 really cost under $10k. Because I think you could have gotten the ml55 back on the road for $8-9k

I didnt even dig deep for engines.. I'm guessing a more thorough search would have landed a crated engine for $3-4k.

---

Again not trying to rub salt into wounds.. hindsight is as always: 20/20 ;)

Keep the beat!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
excellent point. i thought of crated & out of box. but labor and ecm, + a host of wicked programming would eat my personal time & lunch. yes. 350 was for 9500. a bargain under my circumstances; assuming the $s of crated and fitted or rebuild that I'm aware of. if memory serves, no more brake light switch to deal with on 03's too! I'll post her up here & other places soon. Admittedly, I've been awake for much of 44 hrs now. Tyring to drill down on true issue & if it is/was my own fault. an MB or AMG engine does not do this...period. I'm a true failure in the MB sense to Boca, 43, Merzatt, FARR + others. No silver bullet found, & none to come, but my daughter's face carries me on. I will stay invested in MB & I invest in these members & their knowledge. Lesson is currently being learned. A clean break is all I ask.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,466 Posts
stryker, you strike a cord, ha! pixie grease has valued points as well. I want to so bad, but, as before, it's untenable for me at this time. it's the business model in my head. gentleman, I've moved heaven and hell in 36 hours...& I'm not wealthy. I swiped a card, got in her & 'knew' she was 'gone'. blame game..that's another thread. Bought a replacer, got it on the ground, in my color & options with the drop of a cell call. V6 yes. Lest ye forget, I still have a clk 55. I don't want to shell her out. I love this stupid truck. I love her so much I want her to go to a good home where she can be the AMG she was built to be. Not by my hand any longer. After I get college $ figured out, I'll get another! probably a dredded w164 63. But it is what it really 'is'. Year was 1610; the battle of Hastings...'live to fight another day'.
I agree that you should just get rid of it. Yes it may not make sense financially but as you've found out, there's more in life than worrying about our financial losses. In fact, in the end it makes perfect financial sense when you consider the physiological effects, something we neglect too much in these kinds of discussions. Get rid of it, loose the headache and move on (seems like you've already done that). If anyone here or elsewhere really wants a 55 that they would like to labor with, they're welcome to make you a deal.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
much thanks Dark..& thanks to all of members:) unfortunately in my world it DOES make $'s & sense to go 350 & sell 55. moreso, I have to eyeball all of life now. I have fallen in love for the 'star' but it has to keep logic to be my 'car'. 1 ML can't but another one, I pray, can. to echo Dark...if they really want a 55 that they would like to labor with, they're welcome to make you a deal I've gotten 1 confidential pm offer just tonight from this forum. I couldn't do that without benzworld. to reiterate, I just want an idea of a 'fair & proper' price for this beloved thing...with '03 wheels & not AMG's as my posts suggest...ha! Yes 43, I will become a dreddded AMG wannabe poser. wheels but no imposter. I will take your top-end advice into counsel. but look, I just had 'something' happen to me that doesn't happen in MB talk or life ; an engine failure. I give thanks to my wife for putting up with this crap, my daugther, & God for putting rubber to my road in minus 24 hours from deep west TN. influential I am not; impactful is a maybe. but if you want a car, & you really want A CAR, I can get it & I can get it NOW...a phone call is all it takes. how do you think I got 2 AMG's? gas prices yes, but I ordered a delivery for me in the midst of misery.
yes this IS long but Dark serves a valuable point that I noticed with our visitors & newbies; I can buy another ML in <24 hours after I forsaked my 55 (with my pissy demands of color, options, etc) after a 960 bill paid in full for the repairs & you crank it to only know it's gone:( many more & MOST of us cannot. only in this country, esp in these times, can a meagered meandered mauling mangled man like me can ever say that I have a southernered chance in hell to ever get any star I want and/or fix it at will.
thanks gentleman & girls alike.
Gloria Gaynor...the 70's...I will survive. this machine or not. life goes on.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,796 Posts
I really admire your spirit throughout this ordeal. I am not sure I could deal with it
quite as calmly. The 350 will serve you well. You know the peeps here will always
be around to guide any owner.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
209 Posts
I really admire your spirit throughout this ordeal. I am not sure I could deal with it
quite as calmly.
No Kidding! Sorry to hear about your situation oreif. At least you will have the wheels to remember her by. If my engine blows up, I will make sure I lose control and roll over or something to collect the insurance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
No Kidding! Sorry to hear about your situation oreif. At least you will have the wheels to remember her by. If my engine blows up, I will make sure I lose control and roll over or something to collect the insurance. :thumbsup:
Paul, I couldn't say it better my friend. I'm a southerner & momma always said if you gonna do somtehing boy, do it right. so if you blow it up, please blow it up for me. I guess I satisfied this measure without even knowing it. I'm the only true failure & MBworld memeber that has had an AMG engine fail. MB's blocks don't fail; just their owners. AMG factory only builds 2 blocks a day by hand...don't get me there. If it goes, make it go over the cliff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts