Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300D - sold, 91 300TE 4Matic - sold, 1982 300D
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently pulled my trans out to fix a leak which seemed to be coming from the input shaft/torque converter seal. Upon inspection with the trans out of the car it indeed seemed to be the front seal causing the problem. Now with a new (updated MB) front seal I'm still dealing with a leak, and not just a leak but a mass amount of fluid that literally sprays out the TC access hole if I accelerate to over 30 mph, Doesn't seem to leak hardly at all at idle either which seemed a bit strange. So my question is: is there really enough pressure behind the front pump seal that's causing such a huge amount of fluid to seep past or am I dealing with something else?

Damn car cost me my job this morning so I've about had it with my auto trans...

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
I recently pulled my trans out to fix a leak which seemed to be coming from the input shaft/torque converter seal. Upon inspection with the trans out of the car it indeed seemed to be the front seal causing the problem. Now with a new (updated MB) front seal I'm still dealing with a leak, and not just a leak but a mass amount of fluid that literally sprays out the TC access hole if I accelerate to over 30 mph, Doesn't seem to leak hardly at all at idle either which seemed a bit strange. So my question is: is there really enough pressure behind the front pump seal that's causing such a huge amount of fluid to seep past or am I dealing with something else?

Damn car cost me my job this morning so I've about had it with my auto trans...
If you didnt undo the torque converter bolts and have it come out all together as one you most likely tore it.

Its very common, however if you did take it out all as one, but did not fully "seat" the TC in the tranny before putting it in this can also happen or after about 50miles the front pump seals blow.

If i were you i would pull it again and rebuild the front pump. It is not hard if you can pull the trans in the first place.

There are a few teflon seals and one big O-ring along with a huge outer paper gasket oh and TC seal like you got before.

Hope this helps and sorry if i offended by asking how it was installed........some people assume you assume when reading pointers.

·
Registered
1978 300D - sold, 91 300TE 4Matic - sold, 1982 300D
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense taken.

As far as seating the TC goes, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the problem. It "clunked" down the typical 3 times and was definitely clear of the little plastic keeper that holds it loosely onto the trans by about a 1/4-1/2 inch.

Plus I'm having the exact same leaking situation as before I fixed the seal. I didn't replace o-ring (which I now think is probably the issue) or the paper seal, just the TC seal as there was a pretty clear trail of fluid coming from it. I was also on a "fix your car or you won't have a job on monday" time constraint so I tried to just get it back on the road instead of replacing everything... Stupid I know :rolleyes:

I also made sure to remove the TC bolts from the flywheel before removing the trans, plus I installed a new seal so even if I did damage the old one it shouldn't be a problem. I also made sure the TC drain plug was snug after I removed, drained and refilled it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts