Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 560SEC. I have what appears to be severe play in my brake pedal. About 6 inches until brakes engage. Brake pads are brand new. Fluid is topped off in the master cylider and the fluid is brand new.

Please advise.

Gracias.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1987 560SEC. I have what appears to be severe play in my brake pedal. About 6 inches until brakes engage. Brake pads are brand new. Fluid is topped off in the master cylider and the fluid is brand new.

Please advise.

Gracias.
How long have you had this car? Did the brake pedal change after the brake job? Who did the brake job? Once the pedal makes the 6" travel how do the brakes feel?

How do you know there is new fluid?

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
If I put my pedal down 6 inches while travelling I would break my nose on the steering wheel or some other awful thing resulting from rapid decelleration.

It sounds like the system isn't building pressure. Could be a lot of things. Air in the lines would be the simple solution I guess, but also leaking by the master cylinder seals is a good possibility. Try eliminating those things.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
There should be essentially ZERO play before engaging the brakes. Six inches of play indicates a major safety issue, and I wouldn't put that car on the road until it's fixed. I would say there is a HUGE amount of air in the lines. When the reservoir was filled, perhaps the level didn't rise enough to spill into the rear compartment of the reservoir and it's empty. You have to bleed these brakes fairly carefully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts